Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:40:39 -0500
From:         Chris <chris@MCCLURKEN.COM>
Subject:      OT FS: 88 Jetta GLi

I unfortunately need to get rid of my Jetta and I wanted to give list members the first look. I would prefer to see the car put to good use, in a Vanagon or to make a hot rod 16v Rabbit or something.

Pics are at http://www.mcclurken.com/gallery

191,000+ miles on the odometer about 20,000 on the rebuilt 1.8l 16v new clutch no problems with the close ratio 5 speed transmission recent brakes, all discs and pads, flush, etc Recaros are in good shape front and back Also new techtonics exhaust, neuspeed sofsport with bilstein hd Teardrops are in decent shape

The bad: Among other things I forget about... the body sucks...car was rearended before I owned it and the body work done on it wouldn't win any awards, ditto for the repainting. There are little dents and dings all over. The headliner is messed up. The a/c doesn't get cold, and the duct work is just plain crappy so that in the winter you'll freeze thanks to just as much cold fresh air getting it and overpowering the heater. There's a short somewhere and the battery drains completely in a day or two. Needs new tires, alignment, etc

Someone could rehabilitate this car...but it certainly won't be me. I think you could find a Jetta with a better body and maybe a dead engine and just transfer the good parts to it. Or like I said before, I'd love to see it go into a creative project of some sort. I have a lot of memories in the car and would love to keep it and do something worthwhile with it but I don't have the time money or facilities.

If you bring your own tag (the current tag is expired) you can drive it home. It's always been reliable if nothing else. I have no idea what to ask for it but I am will consider anything above the junkyard price. If anyone is interested just email me.

Thanks, Chris 85 GL