Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:53:53 -0700
From:         Leon <korkwood@WSHOST.NET>
Subject:      Re: bears burgling for food?

This topic generated lots of mail including one almost suggesting that we all take shotguns and kill "bad" bears...We should never forget that WE are the visitors in Bear Country having frequently camped in Sierras the problems are usualy limited to places with high concentration of visitors like Yosemite and Sequoia NP etc. I spend more time in much less visited (but just as beautiful to me) places and bears are wild there, never bothering people. Needless to say i never store food outside and insist that others camping nearby(it takes some persuasion sometimes)not to leave their food outside. Some people will absolutely not put food inside their fancy expensive SUV thinking bear will open it like a can. Like in Yosemite. Alternative? they keep food inside their tent thinking their vehicle is more valuable than they are!Or simply outside of tent inviting bear for dinner. When there aren't any lockers to put food in, the only realistic method of storing food is inside Vanagon.In coolers and closed boxes.It has to be closed and sealed so that odors are kept minimal. Most bears accustomed to human food are opportunists and will take only the the most accessible food. When backpacking the only way to keep your food for yourself is bearproof containers.In fact they are required on most popular Sierra trails. Leon 85 Subwagen

-- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/