Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:13:22 -0400
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      whistling engines again (was RE: GET BACK ON TOPIC!)

Well, I'd say how to make good coffee on the road is at least as on topic as how to get internet access on the road. Neither is particular to vanagons, of course.

Refinement on my whistling engine, after walking around the van and slithering under it a ways: I seem to have a whistling fuel pump. I'm heading to the repair place in the morning - was just going to get an oil change, but now I'll ask about this too. Anything in particular I should tell him/be wary of/etc?

I talked to this same repair person - an elderly man in Annandale, VA, outside of Washington DC, Paul Hoffman, of Paul's Auto Service, former VW repair person now on his own - about my now-intermittent low-power-at-high-speed problems. Naturally it started up again, precluding a trip to visit my sister, and then stopped again by the time I got it to Mr. Hoffman. He said there wasn't much point looking at it when it wasn't acting up.

But - is a whistling fuel pump likely to also be the cause of my intermittent power loss? Wouldn't it be nice if I only had one thing wrong, not two...

Mr. Hoffman said last time he saw an intermittent power problem at high speeds he put in what he called a "wiring harness adaptor to the air flow box" and that solved the problem. Has anyone seen this solution? Of course I don't know if that's where my problem lies - it's certainly at the other end of the vehicle from the whistling pump.

Thanks to everyone who has answered my questions so far, and for the past six months, by the way! I'm sure even six months into this I still sound like a mechanical moron - but hey, I am. No deception here! I'll admit that this evening I was wondering if I should continue my travels in my little 2002 Toyota Prius that has nothing wrong with it and never breaks down, and give up on Matilda. I was even trying to figure out how I could get maximum stuff into a rather small car. But I'm not going to give up on vanagons yet. At least I don't think I am.

Joy

**************************************************************** Joy Hecht and Matilda, 1989 Burgundy Vanagon For musings about life and the vanadventures: http://users.rcn.com/jhecht/gypsy ****************************************************************

:::-----Original Message----- :::From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf :::Of Cory Sammons :::Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 2:39 PM :::To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM :::Subject: Re: GET BACK ON TOPIC! ::: :::On 8/18/04 1:19 PM, "Gnarlodious" <gnarlodious@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote: ::: :::> Ye Gods! A whole window full of off topic posts! Bears and coffee, give :::me a :::> break! :::> :::> -- Gnarlie :::> :::Since many of us use our vans for camping I would have to say that the :::bear :::issue, which pertains to both vehicle and personal safety, is a very :::appropriate topic. :::Im guessing someone will say the same about coffee flavors, but I think :::thatıs stretching a little too far! :::Cory Sammons :::84 Westy :::99 New Beetle :::Gardiner, NY