Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Aug 2004 01:31:19 -0400
From:         Cory Sammons <slagskot@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: bears burgling for food?

On 8/18/04 9:53 PM, "Leon" <korkwood@WSHOST.NET> wrote:

> having frequently camped in Sierras the problems are usualy limited to > places with high concentration of visitors like Yosemite and Sequoia NP > etc. I spend more time in much less visited (but just as beautiful to me) > places and bears are wild there, never bothering people.

What we have to keep in mind is that bears are extremely smart creatures One reason the hanging food method is not recommended in yosemite is that some of the bears have figured out how to pull food bags down using the ropes that are tied to them. There are even reports of mother bears sending their cubs out to get at food bags that are on smaller limbs that would not hold an adult bears weight. The point is that they are smart and they learn quickly. One reason they are such a big problem in Yosemite is that they have learned to associate coolers and cars with food because so many people have been sloppy about storage. So if you are in a less frequented area where bears have not learned to associate cars with food, and you are diligent about storing your food properly, you are not very likely to have a problem. This is definitely a case where one irresponsible person can ruin things for everyone. As soon a bear does make the association it will probably continue to try to get into cars and coolers etc. and will then have to be relocated or destroyed. As for food in tents, I think you have to be nuts. In the backcountry you should even cook a distance away from your tent and in heavy bear areas, you may even want to remove the clothes you cook in and put them with the food. Its interesting that when I was on safari in africa and we slept in little canvas army tents, the guide said that hyenas and lions would not attack the tents because they see them as inanimate objects - like big funny rocks - and donšt really understand that there might be food inside (fortunately)! He even put the bones from our dinner around the tents one night (unbeknownst to us) and the hyenas came, took the bones and sniffed the tents (horrible breath!) but never made any effort to tear through them. I think bears are just smarter than this and will rip through a tent in a second.

A couple of final thoughts - I would think that if a bear were messing with your van while you were in it, you could probably scare the s**t out of it by simply starting the engine (assuming you have properly cleaned and connected all of the ground wires in the past week and your swiss army knife key chain hasn't destroyed your ignition switch) Also, check the regulations where you are camping - some campgrounds consider Westys to be vehicles with the tops down, but tents with them up. Remember, a large bear on its hind legs can reach over 10', plenty high enough to tear up your canvas My 25 cents