Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Aug 2004 01:40:04 -0400
From:         Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>
Subject:      Re: whistling engines again (was RE: GET BACK ON TOPIC!)
Comments: To: Joy Hecht <jhecht@alum.mit.edu>

Joy wrote: > I talked to this same repair person... - about my now-intermittent > low-power-at-high-speed problems. Naturally it started up again, precluding > a trip to visit my sister, and then stopped again by the time I got it to > Mr. Hoffman. He said there wasn't much point looking at it when it wasn't > acting up. But - is a whistling fuel pump likely to also be the cause of my > intermittent power loss? Wouldn't it be nice if I only had one thing wrong, > not two... Yes, possibly. At higher demand the fuel pump may exhibit more signs and symptoms of failure. The pump is easy to get to and to change out, why not try it and if it doesn't get rid of the whistling and power problem you can keep the old pump as a back up. Short of any evidence as to recent changing of the fuel filter, I would change that too. > Mr. Hoffman said last time he saw an intermittent power problem at high > speeds he put in what he called a "wiring harness adaptor to the air flow > box" and that solved the problem. Has anyone seen this solution? Of course > I don't know if that's where my problem lies - it's certainly at the other > end of the vehicle from the whistling pump. Actually, the two are fairly closely related, as they both deal with proper fuel flow and air mixture prior to the intake manifolds. Your logic is sound. Now don't jump back and run away from these strange scribblings but... Generally, I believe that Paul's recommended fix is for the vaunted Vanagon syndrome, which more often occurs at start up or slow speeds OR as "bucking" at higher speeds. Does your problem clear up temporarily if you turn off the key and turn it back on while experiencing the lack of power? If so... this is The FIX. The tantalum capacitor fix to the air flow modulator(AFM) has been explained a time or three on the List. The capacitor massages an uneven, minute, electrical signal at various speeds and causes an evening out of the airflow volume into the intake manifold. This makes for more smooth acceleration and deceleration... possibly eliminating the lack of power that you are experiencing. A search in the archives will reveal several sites that explain it better than I can. VW put out the wiring harness (expensive part that IIRCC is no longer available, plugs in...2-3 minutes labor) as a sanctioned fix. Some resourceful Listees figured out how to take the AFM apart and fix it for less than $5 and an hour well spent with a box knife, the correct capacitor from Radio Shack, a small soldering iron and a tube of silicon caulk to reseal the AFM. I, successfully, did this fix to my 87 Westy last year and then had an opportunity to later discover that the PO of my 91 Caravelle had paid to have the plug in unit put in in it before I bought it... $BIG and I could have taken it off to test it on my 87 before I did the repair myself. Which gets me to my next advice... you might find someone with the plug in and borrow it to see if it clears up your problem. If it does, you can then decide if you want to have it fixed by Paul or try to find someone on the List who is nearby and can effect the capacitor fix for you.