Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:42:13 -0700
From:         Tobin Copley <tcopley@SFU.CA>
Subject:      Re: Shoulder Belts, Booster Seats, Infant Car Seats... Help!

Jim,

I have had the same concerns you are expressing about the poor stock rear seat restraint system for kids. There is no way I'd be comfortable with my kids riding in my westy with just lap belts. The protection provided by lap belt only just doesn't meet my standards, and the injuries resulting from lap belts in an impact can be severe and the risk significant. Similarly, I'm not too keen on having my kids ride in the front seats--the only place in the vehicle with 3-point shoulder belts.

I have two kids, and the westy rear-seat shoulder belt kits are only for the right-hand seating position, since the placement of the westy closet gets in the way of belt routing on the left side. I need something that will work for *both* kids. (If there *is* a left side rear seat shoulder belt kit available, I've never heard anything about it.)

Here's what I've done: YOUNG KIDS: ----------- When the kids were young (car seat / small booster seat age), they rode in full-size harnessed car seats which have there own 5-point harness system. The seats themselves were held in place with just a lap belt, BUT they require a tether strap to a secure anchor point to be safe. So, I got a metal fabricator friend to weld a ridiculously beefy anchor plate to the rear deck of the vanagon, just forward of where the rear hatch latch plate is. The anchor plate is placed and sized such that the engine cover can just be lifted over the anchor plate. There are two holes drilled in the anchor plate, one of each child's tether strap. When the seats are in place, the tensioned tether straps run at about a 30-35 degree angle off vertical from the anchor point to the top of the car seat(s), so they are well-place to retard forward motion of the top of the car seat in an impact. When buckling up the car seats, I would shove the seats as far back and down into the bench seat as possible, placing my entire body weight into the car seat with my knee, and adjust the lap bench length so that I could *just* manage to push the seat belt buckles together to engage. (I still have indent marks in the seat cushion from where the seats crushed the foam). I used "H" clips on the lap belts to ensure that the tension on the belts could be maintained. Those seats were *solid* in there, and that's what I wanted.

I still have a car seat around that I could use to illustrate if there's any interest in me taking me taking pictures to show the set-up. It's pretty self-explanatory though, I think.

A BIT OLDER KIDS: ------------------ Now my kids are older (7.5 and almost 5). Car seats won't work for them anymore, and lap-belt-only boosters have been the subject of a lot of investigation regarding injuries associate with the use of these kind of boosters. I was not convinced that using boosters would reduce the probability of injury, and had some concerns that in some cases they may actually be worse than just a lap belt alone (which isn't very good to start with).

What I eventually decided on was to install a "Y" type harness system like what Shawn describes. I actually purchased mine rather than trying to make it and be concerned about getting the dimensions right and worrying that I might be creating some unforeseen risk due to design oversight. The harness I got has been tested in the US, and is actually marketed primarily as a restrain system for handicapped children and smaller adults (although they also make it clear it is appropriate for any children in lap-belted vehicles). The weight range is in the order of 40 - 168 pounds.

I welded in *another* anchor plate so that each kid has their own anchor point (this keeps the Y harness tethers parallel to the front-rear line of the vehicle, so there is one anchor for both rear seating position).

My next project for rear seeat child safety is to figure out how to install head restraints for both kids. My 7.5 year old is just a little to tall now to ride without a head restraint. I'm thinking that this winter I may pull the rear seat, replace the foam in it, and while I have it apart, work out how to install removeable head restraints for the two "main" seating positions in the rear. This might require a bit of creativity, since the rear seat back in quite low.

I have a number of photographs I've taken showing the harness set-up and the kids wearing them, and I've been intending to place them on a web page for list member's information. I could p-mail them to people with interest as well. I also have a short quicktime movie I took, showing the kids hurling themsleves forward against the harness, then quickly releasing themselves and exiting the vehicle.

The *very* helpful distributor I purchased the belts from is Michelle Palumbo, and she can be reached toll-free at 866 396-6776. Let her know I (Tobin from Vancouver BC) referred you--she'd get a kick out of that.

I recently got back from a 1700 mile camping trip into Northern BC with the kids. The big test is whether the kids will wear the harness, be happy with it, are comfortable, and are generally cool with it. They like the harness set-up a lot, and they worked great. I'm very happy with them. When we set up to camp, I just remove the harness belts, fold them up, and put them in a cabinet--they take up very little space. Setting them back up in the morning in a snap. I marked each belt with the child's name, so I don't have to do any readjustments in the morning when we reattach them and get ready to go.

I told the kids that the belts are like what race car drivers use. Now they refer to our diesel westy as "the world's slowest race car." Yep, that's us!

T. Vanagon drivers do it slow, and can go forever without stopping to refuel ;-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Tobin Copley Vancouver, BC, Canada 49deg 23'N-123deg 19'W

'82 Westfalia 1.6L NA diesel ("Stinky") '97 son Russell ============= '99 daughter Margaret /_| |_L| |__|:| clatter SPEED KILLS! [. = .| clatter! Drive a Vanagon diesel ~-()-==----()-~ ~ ~