Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Aug 2004 18:03:45 -0400
From:         Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need graywater tank ideas
Comments: To: bhs73@SPYMAC.COM

I suspect a lot depends on whether the official looking at your rig sees it as an RV or not, and is a reasonable human being, or an authority junkie.

I certainly don't see any difference in dumping a bucket after washing up when tent camping, or after pulling the same bucket out from under my westie... I use a minimal amount of bio-degradable soap in either case.

Of course, I do a lot of my camping locally in New Jersey, where (sadly) we have bigger problems with our groundwater than dish soap.

Tim

At 03:26 PM 8/19/2004 -0600, Mark Edwards wrote: >In <004601c4862c$de841e60$6600a8c0@pacbell.net>, on 08/19/04 > at 01:41 PM, Al Knoll <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET> said: > > >IIRC some camping areas such as the Colorado River and Green River areas > >near Moab UT REQUIRE full self containment including having a working > >portapottie (thetford 135 works) and a closed greywater system. Ideally > >according to the NPS peace officer the greywater tank should be attached > >to the vehicle. (they let me off this time). So...put a tee in the > >drain after the trap and run a hose to a container inside the vehicle. > >Meets the letter of the law. > >Hi Al, > >I just want to clarify, or converse, but not sound like I am arguing. > >Is there some difference in the application of the rule/law, wherein >someone who doesn't have a tank is exempt? Did I ask that right? :-) I >camp in Moab/Canyonlands area often, and know of no such rule, not to say >I know everything. Do you suppose the difference is in having a tank or >not in the first place? Tent trailers, and tent/van campers all use >buckets to catch water from washing dishes and hands, then we dump the >buckets. > >All I can think of is the NPS is telling folks to use what equipment you >have, and if you are not outfitted with a grey water tank, a bucket is >okay. If I am anywhere near close on that, then its really stupid to get >after someone who has a tank that doesn't work, and is doing the right >thing by using a bucket. > >Am I reading this all the right way? > >Mark