Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:08:40 -0600
From:         Gnarlodious <gnarlodious@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: 83 Diesel Vanagon timing update.

Entity Kenneth Wilford spoke thus:

> 3. I am getting a good amount of fuel to the injectors. How do you know this? When you slightly loosen the nuts do you have fuel squirting out under pressure? Air in the steel tubes can cause a "bounce" effect in the fuel, be sure to expel all air by allowing it to squirt for a while by cranking with the nuts loose. The fuel spraying out of slightly loosened nuts should be finely atomized. Since air is compressible any bubble will prevent a snappy spray pattern.

> 4. I double checked the fuel pump timing. I found the mark on the rear > of the pulley and it lines up with the arrow pointing to it on the > engine tin (this is a later model 1.6l engine) perfectly when the engine > is at TDC. That sounds right. Did you have the cam turned while anything was apart? If so, the cam must be in position for the compression stroke.

> 5. When I had all of the injectors removed I visually watched all four > glow plugs glow brightly. > > 6. I marked the position of the fuel pump. Then I moved it a little at > a time to the left of the mark and then a little to the right of the > mark. Either place the engine did the same thing. At idle I will get > nothing. If I move the throttle to full acceleration I will get a > steading popping and exhaust smoke coming out of the pipe, but no actual > starting and running. It sounds like it is only firing on one or two > cylinders. How's the compression? Has oil blown out the air filter box in the past?

If the engine has a block heater (and it should), warm it up for a while before cranking. It makes a huge difference, especially in humid weather.

Try this trick. Soak a rag in gasoline and stretch it over the intake while cranking. Messy but effective.

Here's another trick, pour some clean motor oil in each cylinder, enough to seal the rings for a while. That should give you extra compression.

If all else fails, give the recalcitrant van a good stiff pull.

You should know it's not uncommon for diesels to be so temperamental after years of sitting. All these tricks are used by farmers and construction workers. When you get the beast going get a fresh tank and in a few days it should start acting normal. Sometimes it takes a few weeks.

The joys of a diesel!

-- Gnarlie http://Gnarlodious.com/Vanagon/