Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Aug 2004 18:47:47 -0600
From:         Mark Edwards <bhs73@SPYMAC.COM>
Subject:      Bears and grey water. Done

I thank all those who weighed in on the grey water thing. Glad to know I am not doing anything illegal by using a bucket in my camping endeavors :-)

I love to talk about the bears and the camping, but I also think enough is enough.

As usual, Westys present a unique perspective, as they are really tents when sitting with the top up, so rules of tent camping have to apply. In most bear places, put down the top and store your food inside and all will be well. There are campgrounds in Glacier, Yellowstone, and GTNP where I assume a Westy would not be allowed to camp, if the top is popped up, although I have never taken the time to ask, or look around. Probably be a nightmare trying to explain it all to one of those AARP-customer service folks who run the campgrounds :-)

FWIW, yes, CA seems to be out of control, and needs to take some serious action to control the bears. Just another reason I have no plans to ever go there again. Yellowstone and Teton used to have a bear problem bit like that as well, although there is more space there to work with bears and other animals, so good luck to them. Took a major commitment and mucho bucks and effort to get it under control tho. Don't know if Yosemite-ites have the stomach for such a thing. I have never had a hankering to see Yosemite either. Its been a nightmare ever since I can remember. :-)

I am sorry there is so much anger and hatred between people who have such differing agendas. Makes it impossible to get anything done. I understand Doug's position, and in my heart, I agree with much of it, but there has to be a better way to express it.

A wise man once said "government is not the solution, government is the problem" and in nearly every instance I can think of, government screwed up just about everything they get involved in. Can't think of a way to spin that thought into a vanagon comment tho, so I guess its time to move along, as we won't solve that problem here, (or anywhere else for that matter <g>)

Mark