Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:43:51 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Northern Iowa Fall Campout
Comments: To: James Fritz <jfritz@ALPINECOM.NET>

If that's not the same weekend as the Last Ditch Slalom on the Wolf(WI), we may cruise on up from Cedar Falls!!

Thanks

Max

on At 09:45 PM 8/19/2004, James Fritz wrote: >Volks, >Well, at least for now, the mantle has been passed. Budd Premack >"encouraged" me to organize a camping weekend for this fall. Busses >Over the Rainbow was started by Budd in the spring of 2003 and we've >gathered twice for VW commraderie at Lanesboro, Minnesota so far. We >enjoyed each others company enough to decide we wanted to try it >again. So, we're doing it this fall at a new, slightly more southern, >locaiton. > >I've checked out many campgrounds in the Tri-State area and honestly, >one I can recommend most highly is right in my hometown: Decorah, >Iowa. So, I am officially announcing the 1st Fall Busses Over the >Rainbow campout at the Pulpit Rock Campground in Decorah for the >weekend of September 17-19. Pulpit Rock is a beautiful campground >located directly on the scenic Upper Iowa River with the Twin Springs >trout stream also running through it. There are 75 gravel sites and 79 >grass sites with electrical hook-ups, restroom and showers, playground, >etc. Price is $12 for non-electric and $14 for electric. The >campground is connected to Decorah via a lighted, paved bike/walking >trail that runs along the bluffs and the river. Decorah is the home of >the Vesterheim Museum (nation's largest museum devoted to a single >ethnic group - Norwegian), Luther College, the Seed Savers, Dunning >Springs, the Decorah Trout Hatchery, and much more. There is also >canoeing, kayaking, tubing, biking, boutique shopping, antique-ing, and >more for your entertainment. > >I will reserve (following confirmation from each of you) an appropriate >amount of space in adjoining campsites (probably electric @$14 per >night). You will all need to pay/register upon your arrival but the >space will be reserved. In addition, there are several wonderful B&Bs >and the newly restored historic Winneshiek Hotel for those who may wish >to forgo the camping experience. Email me for details. > >Friday evening will be a time to renew old acquaintances around the >campfire ring. As its also Homecoming week for Decorah High School, >there's the opportunity to catch a little of Americana at the local >high school football field. Due to the fact that I'm the high school >band director, I'll be a little late getting to the campfire but I'll >be there! > >On Saturday we'll poll the group for day trips. We have many options >including the Vesterheim, Seed Savers, and other local areas of >interest and beauty or we may take a more extended road trip to the >Effigy Mounds National Monument and Pikes Peak (view 4 states from a >single overlook) in Marquette, Iowa along the Mississippi (probably 100 >mile round trip). We'll decide this as a group. > >I have several requests from each of you: first RSVP if you plan to >attend so that I might better plan the weekend. secondly, tell your >friends. third, email any suggestions for activities, ideas, etc. that >you might have. > >I look forward to seeing you all at Pulpit Rock on the 17-19th! > >Jim in Iowa >89 Westy GL >91 Passat Wagon GL >66 Beetle