Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Aug 2004 08:04:39 -0700
From:         Todd Last <Rubatoguy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Comparative tranny opinions
Comments: To: Robert Lilley <RClilleyjr@COX.NET>

While it does cost a bit @2K, It IS worth it for me for the reduced shifting and Better Gearing vs. engine speed.

Fourth gear is good from @ 25 mph to 75 mph.

Go with the .457 ring and pinion for reduced engine Rpms. The .486 R&amp;P rpm vs. mph is not as good and rpms were not at @3K (center of green rpm range ) as in the .457 per the 25,35,45,55 mphs.

Another big plus is that on the SA gearboxes the fix hole is move to allow for easier access and is at the correct level for the oil level. No 15 mm below the fill hole.:-)

One other bonus is that the first and reverse are on the same plane and you do not need to push down to get into reverse from first. Makes it real easy to rock van WHEN you get stuck enabling you to get out. Ask me, I got stuck several time and was able to easily get out by rocking quickly between first and reverse.

I chose not to get the five speed shifter linkage and just push down and pull back for first, it is second nature now, and rarely miss a shift.

HAPPY with his SA .457 5 speed (I ever bought a 5 speed shifter knob and the short shift kit along with the extender)

**I would get a four spider HD diff installed over the factory diff. And depending on power modifications, get fourth and fifth gears welded.

Plus:

Longer engine life

Less shifting

Better use of the rpm range of the WBX 2 to 5K (even better with some performance modifications)

Relocated fill hole

Updated sliders with the heavy duty kit installed

First to/from reverse easy access

Overdrive gear and a passing gear

Happiness

Minus: