Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Aug 2004 08:12:07 -0700
From:         "P. Stanhope" <napszeerf@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Cheap disc brake upgrade for 81'-85' V'gons (a Long Report)

Three options for those of us that want to upgrade the disc brakes on our older 81'-85'vanagons:

A. convert to 86'-91' disc brakes B. convert to Audi 5000/Audi 100 disc brakes C. convert to SA Big Brakes

Option "A" conversion requires new uprights, spindles, calipers rotors and bearings. This option could be the cheapest and parts easy to find becouse a lot of people with 96'-91' vanagons convert to the SA Big Break Kits, so they will have to sell their old brake parts to us:) AND you don’t have to buy a set of larger 15” rims just so you can fit the new brakes. Performance on 86'-91' brakes is much better than the older brakes(if you don’t believe me i can email you some list info on the brake improvement that I’ve archived from the Holy Vanagon List Archives) I don’t think VW would redesign the brakes just to save on production costs. Redesigning and retooling costs a lot in itself. They did it to make the van safer AND to save a little on production costs (they all do it)

Brake "B" Audi 5000 brakes will fit our 2wd vanagons with some "simple" machine work (drill holes larger to fit the Audi calipers) I like this option the most because parts are everywhere and cheap if found used. Performance is awesome, these brakes were used on Audi Rally cars racing in Dakar Rally of Africa were they not? this tells me they are awesome brakes for the vanagon. Fastforward.ca has a link a conversion page but this is for converting a Syncro to Audi 100/200 brakes, but the conversion is supposed to be similar, anyone do this to a 2wd v'gon?

Brake "C." Yes The FAMOUS VW of South Africa big brake kit. older 81-85' v'gons will need new "uprights" spindles and that’s it i think. Uprights can be had for $60-100 each or cheaper at the salvage yard. Performance is awesome and the parts are new. Price is not bad either, but not the cheapest. Brake pads are expensive.

Conclusion?: Me, i like the Audi 5000 option the best, these brakes are all OVER the place, and brake pads can be purchased anywhere. THe Big Brake kit parts can only be found from few importers in the USA, that goes for brake pads too. Good luck if VW of SA gets shut down and files for chapter 11:) South Africa is not the most stable of economies...this is another why i like the Audi brake option the most The 86'-91' Brakes B+C are vented rotors, which will be better option for those who live in the hills. Brake A is not have vented rotors but they are supposed to stay a lot cooler than the 81'-85' brakes. The 86'-91'calipers have fins to help dissipate heat.

Please do email me your thoughts and insults as im still undecided, but i AM buying a set of 15” steel wheels from VW of SA, so I prolly wont do option “A” its Audi 5000 or SA Big Brakes for my 84' westy.

Cheers!

===== Phil 84' Westy...Tiico'ed 00' Cannondale MTB 95' S9 Skateboard 04' New Balance 705 All Terrain's