Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:36:03 -0400
From:         Greg Potts <Greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: General Inverter Questions
Comments: To: Chris Paquette <chris.paquette@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Chris,

I have a 400Watt inverter in the westfakia, and it is a very handy addition. I power the inverter from the second battery and route its output through an A/B switch that lets me run the GFI'd receptacles inside and outside of the bus from the inverter or shore power.

You can see the setup I am using here: http://www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia/

The new digital inverter I have now tells me the voltage out, the battery voltage remaining and the number of watts of current being supplied.

On 18-Aug-04, at 4:09 PM, Chris Paquette wrote:

> 1.) Is an inverter on all the time if connected to my second battery, > or do they generally have an on/off switch? The concern here is that > if it's on all the time, the inverter's cooling fan (if any) might > come on intermittently during the night when I'm trying to sleep.

Depends on the model. They usually have an on-off switch. If you put the unit in a cupboard it will be harder to hear it.

> 2.) Power consumption is dictated solely by what is connected to the > inverter, and not the wattage of the inverter itself, correct? IOW, a > Powermate 1200 won't drain my battery any faster than a Powermate 800 > if they each had the same items attached to them, correct?

Correct.

> 3.) Any problems/issues with permanently mounting an inverter to > either side of the stove? Seems like that would be an ideal place to > plug in the laptop, cell phone, etc.

I mounted my inverter in the back of the bus, and ran an extension cord under the bus to power an outlet strip behind the drivers seat. My Dad installed a 600W inverter behind the drivers seat on his Vanagon westy and it works well for him and Mom.

> 4.) Finally, would the secondary battery (Optima deep-cycle marine) > last long enough, assuming fully charged, to watch a long-ish (say, 3 > hour) DVD?

Yes. But that depends heavily on the draw of the display system. My 400W inverter is able to power a PS2 system and a 13" sylvania TV set that is rated for a 57W draw. The kids can use the PS2 to play DVDs or games while travelling. When parked a full charge has lasted 4 hours at a car show. When the bus is running the dual relay keeps the inverter powered up just fine. A larger or less efficient television will put a heavier draw on the system.

If you use a laptop computer as your DVD player you can easily get by on a 200W inverter, and you could probably watch 3 or 4 DVD''s.

> > Thanks for any help,

My pleasure.

Happy trails,

Greg Potts Toronto, Ontario, Canada