Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:06:22 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <j.michael.elliott@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Re: ATF filter: urban legend?
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>

Roger that. So I guess the procedure goes something like this:

Park car on flat, clean surface. Avoid windy parking lots with blowing tumbleweeds, shopping bags, dirt, bears, coffee, gray water, and insects.

Drain tranny through strainer, inspect for Bad Stuff (non-old-ATF material). If found, ask for advice.

Drop pan.

Beware drippage.

Inspect inside of pan and filter and darn near everything for signs of Bad Stuff. If found, ask for advice.

Wipe everything clean with something much cleaner and lint-free.

Install new filter, gasket and bottom cover. Installation is the reverse of removal. Install drain plug with new gasket 0-ring (if required).

Re-fill with new ATF.

I presume Bentley's gives advice on what kind ATF and how much. Anything at Pep Boys okay?

Note to self: if fluid, pan bottom and filter don't show Bad Stuff, and throttle linkage seems to be adjusted per manual, AND if slippage still seems to occur between 1st and 2nd, ask Wiser Men for more advice.

---

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 VW Type 2 / 84 Westy: A poor but proud race. KG6RCR