Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:10:49 -0500
From:         Chuck Mathis <cmathis@HOUSTON.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: ATF filter: urban legend?

Craig,

No 17mm allen nut hole on the automatics.

The final drive and auto tranny don't share fluids.

When you drain the tranny fluid from the dip stick tube you get the majority of the old fluid out. When you drop the pan you will get some

more out. There will still be a little left in the torque converter. Bentley specifies one amount for just a drain and fill, and another for filter

changes.

A while back I bought an inexpensive garden sprayer intending to turn it into a pressure bleeder for the brake system. Before I got a round2it hacking it up, I bought a a pressure bleeder on sale and tossed the garden sprayer in the corner. While looking at pouring ATF

through the dip stick/filler tube using a funky funnel it occurred to me that if I trimmed the sprayer end off the hose it would slip down the filler tube rather neatly. I put a couple quarts and a little extra in the canister, pumped up the pressure, poked the hose in the tube and pulled the trigger. In a matter of seconds the canister was empty and the tranny was full. The garden sprayer, marked "ATF", now rests on the shelf next to the brake bleeder.

>Date:    Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:51:19 -0700 >From:    Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM> >Subject: Re: ATF filter: urban legend?

>After the ATF is drained, what's the easiest way to refill and check

the level?

>I've heard of a 17mm allen nut hole.  Or, is this for the gear oil in >the final drive section??

>I was thinking of just pouring a few quarts of tranny fluid down the >tranny filler tube with a special funnel and checking the level with >the stick.    I disconnected the tranny fluid filler tube and drained >most of the fluid in the process.

>Are there other things I should chck out before taking the van out for >a test drive?

>I guess the automatic transmission and the final drive differential >share the same fluids?

>-- Craig

Chuck '85 Wolfsburg Westy - 'Roland the Road Buffalo'