Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:56:29 -0700
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: swapping vanagon for Prius (was RE: license plate light bulbs
Comments: To: Joy Hecht <jhecht@alum.mit.edu>

If you're travelling with only 1-2 people and you're paying a mechanic to do your work, here are my thoughts:

1) Get a used 4x4 truck like a Toyota Tundra or a Ford and throw a used camper on the back. If you want the Westy feel, go for something like Four Wheel Camper from CA. http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/ (but spend time to find a used, cheaper one) Make absolutely sure that the camper and truck fit together before you buy either. You might want to identify the camper you want first and then look for a used truck that can haul it. I think that to get the Westy feel, you should get a lightweight camper. if the truck breaks down, you can still live in the camper in someone's driveway while the truck is in the shop. Also, with a 4x4 truck, you won't have to mess around with tire chains as much when you camp in the winter. it'll also give you more traction if you upgrade your kayak to a boat that requires a trailer. I take it that Maltilda is not a syncro

2) Get a normal minivan with fold-flat interior like a Honda or a Toyota. You can sleep on the floor of the van. You can probably also customize it a bit with some RV interior bits and pieces.

3) Same as 2, but use a 4x4 SUV and simply sleep on the floor of the SUV.

In my case, I'm sleeping with 2 adults and 1-2 kids in the Westy, so I can't really do the above unless I get a big truck camper. But then, if I went for the big truck camper, I might as well get a Class C RV.... Then, I wouldn't drive it too much due to the size. So, it comes back around to the Westy for me. To be honest the vanagon community is the primary reason I still have and love the Westy.

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:05:26 -0400, Joy Hecht <jhecht@alum.mit.edu> wrote: > Hey, Greg, > > Have you ever heard of a tent and a camp stove? Come on, I know you grew up > in a household full of vanagons, but surely you've heard of car camping! I > would leave the kayak behind, because I'm not using it that much and the > rest of the paddling gear takes up a lot of space. But I'd take the bike > with me, that's easy and essential. > > I'm mulling it over. Unlike you guys, I'm not a mechanic, so the repairs > cost me a ton! And because I don't have any other housing, if my van needs > to go in for repairs I'm rather stuck - homeless, to put it bluntly. It's > not like I can put the repairs off till I have time, with the van out in the > driveway or the garage and me inside the house. > > Anyone have any brilliant thoughts on this matter? I know asking the > mechanics on the Vanagon list isn't really the right people to get ideas > from, but what the hell... > > Joy > > **************************************************************** > Joy Hecht > and Matilda, 1989 Burgundy Vanagon > > For musings about life and the vanadventures: > http://users.rcn.com/jhecht/gypsy > > ****************************************************************:::-----Orig > inal Message----- > :::From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf > :::Of Greg Potts > :::Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 3:15 PM > :::To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > :::Subject: Re: license plate light bulbs > ::: > :::Hi Joy, > ::: > :::That's a lot of stuff you're going to need to unload... Bicycle, Kayak, > :::dishes, food storage, bedding... > ::: > :::Once you factor in the cost of accomodation and restaurant meals to > :::touring in a Prius, the maintenance on your Vanagon will seem like a > :::tremendous bargain. To maintain an older vehicle does require that you > :::scale back your demands sometimes. But life in the slow lane can be > :::every bit as fulfilling... Think about it for a while... do you really > :::prefer a drive-through menu to home cooking? > ::: > :::Happy trails, > ::: > :::Greg Potts > :::Toronto, Ontario, Canada > ::: > :::1973/74/79 Westfakia Conversion **Bob the Tomato** LY3H > :::1977 Sunroof Automatic L63H/L90D > :::http://www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia > :::http://www.busesofthecorn.com > ::: > ::: > :::On 23-Aug-04, at 11:41 AM, Joy Hecht wrote: > ::: > :::> I'm about ready to get rid of even more stuff and continue my travels > :::> in my > :::> Prius, which never needs repairs and if I needed parts I could get > :::> them. >