Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:31:08 -0500
From:         Birkenfeld Jeff <BirkenfeldJeff@JOHNDEERE.COM>
Subject:      Re: need headlight lenses
Comments: To: jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU

Joy writes: I can't go elsewhere for a new inspection, because my van now has a sticker on it showing that I already took it to the first place.

Jeff replies: Repair the headlight with that glass repair crap, remove the sticker and take it to another place...play dumb....get chummy with the inspector...show some cleavage...smile a lot...and if it doesn't work at the second place, try again or just forget about it if you have current plates and drive on!

I suspect you are a problem solver...same applies to vanagon ownership...a constant problem solving challenge....keeps us on our toes and in game. The archives are full of many successful road trips as well as failures but the one thing I've read since joining some 6 years ago is that a majority prevail and even the silly ones can keep a van alive. Apply your problem solving skills to the van and you will relish in trial and tribulation. Get a Bentley, some metric hand tools, a hydraulic jack-in-a-box and read, read, read. You will find things in that book that will peak your interest to the point of investigation. You may even solve a problem before it presents and THAT is what makes us smile when we turn the key for that next drive. What you lack in mechanical skills (they will develop more every time you pick up a wrench) you make up for in persistence. If you decide to go prius, we wish you well and hope to read of your continuing journeys. If you stay VW, many here will help with your questions. The journey doesn't have to be a series of breakdowns...but it should contain time allotment for the forgotten maintenance issues most vans suffer. My best roadtrip was in a '69 transporter with 2 friends over 1200 miles to the beach and back....we were 19 and not the best mechanics. We pushed that built 1835 air cooled 80mph through the texas heat until it died in Waxahachie. The next 3 days introduced us to a fine family whose father aided us with #3 piston and rod replacement. We traded Mexican goods previously acquired for room and board in the top of a breezy hay loft. We swapped stories between beers and wrenching and the old man gave us some valuable mechanical lessons that I never forgot. The point is that even adversity can bring something pleasant. That trip was 20 years ago and when my friends and I gather for annual summer parties, that old man becomes a hero again.

ps...the van did get us home but not without cleaning the webber carb several times which we learned in situ.

JB