Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Aug 2004 07:03:02 -0600
From:         Gnarlodious <gnarlodious@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Over heated and need more power! (diesel)

For starters, if you are talking about a diesel you should put "diesel" in the subject line or the diesel people won't even see it.

Entity Gary Liess spoke thus:

> I just returned from a camping trip to the Sierra's around Lake Tahoe and > south. I have an 82-diesel westy with a 1.9 TD. When driving in the > mountains the temperature gauge was 2/3 when running at 55 MPH, its warmer > than I would like but I can live with it. When I tried to climb (in second > gear) Monitor pass (8000 ft.) the temp gauge went to 7/8 and then the light > went on and the expansion tank blew its top and boiled water out. Did the fan ever go on? In lower gears you need the fan to get air through the radiator since there isn't enough road speed. If the tank blew and the fan did not go on something is wrong.

My fan kicks on during long hot New Mexico mountain climbs. It's loud and impossible to ignore and moves a lot of air.

A more serious possibility is is compression leakage into the water jacket.

-- Gnarlie http://Gnarlodious.com/Vanagon/