Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:15:01 -0700
From:         Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: swapping vanagon for Prius
Comments: To: Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>

I had a chance on my recent long road trip to check out a FourWheelCampers pop-up camper, mounted on a Dodge Dakota. The owner was very excited about it and it looked impressive. Told me how well built it was and that it could withstand a roll-over where the truck itself would be demolished. Told me about the extra insulation and that the vinyl sides of the pop-up were also insulated. But as I walked back to my '90 Westy, I started thinking about the drawbacks. Higher off the ground and harder to get into. Just a narrow aisle down the middle. No access between cab and camper (unless you want to squeeze through the sliding window). His pickup was a crew-cab, but passengers in the back of a Westy are more comfortable and easier to talk to and more legal, with seatbelts, etc. And what about hauling cargo? He has to pull out the camper shell. I just open the sliding door and slide in a washing machine or whatever. Open the rear hatch and slide in 12' long lumber or whatever. I'll stick with my multi-purpose Westy. Jerry

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Oda" <craigoda@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 10:56 PM Subject: Re: swapping vanagon for Prius (was RE: license plate light bulbs