Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:31:45 -0700
From:         Tobin Copley <tcopley@SFU.CA>
Subject:      Re: swapping vanagon for Prius (was RE: license plate light bulbs
Comments: To: Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>

On Aug 23, 2004, at 3:36 PM, Joy Hecht wrote: > Hi Tobin, > Hiya!

> For sure, camping in the rain sucks. > > But then I'm the one whose laptop got wet in a rainstorm when water > came > gushing in the edge of the poptop, and I had to get a new computer! > So hmm, > which leaks more, the tent or the poptop? :-)

Hmmm... Never had a pop-top leak on me--and I live in a rainforest! I think you really drew a short straw there.

> I kind of think the hassle of setting up a tent about balances out the > ability to leave a campsite in my car for the day without having to > pack it > all up, if I'm returning to the same place that night.

I've never needed more than 15 minutes or so to get ready to go. I leave a table and stuff to "mark" my site if I want to go and come back to my site.

> And I have just > found that if I want I can borrow a big tent - big enough to almost > stand up > in and to put in a little table and chair so I can sit at my computer > and > work properly and not be really crowded. Which would be nice.

Sounds cool. I've often thought a "room" type tent would be a useful addition for my vanagon camping gear, but only for those trips in which we settle into a place for a couple of days or more. > > So it's possible that in terms of amenities for me the van and the > camping > might kind of balance out.

I wouldn't look at it like as either/or...

> ...And I would definitely like to know lots more about how to fix my > van, even > while I recognize that the time it would take to become a good > mechanic is > likely to be more than I'm willing to give it. Especially as I don't > have > anyone to apprentice myself to. I don't really know anyone (present > company > excepted) who works on cars or knows vanagons.

> In a way I almost don't mind > the cost of the repairs - it's a reasonable tradeoff for having my > time to > do other things

Nothing wrong with buying leisure time. That's why we have such an integrated economy!

> > Any good mechanics out there who want a hanger-on for a month or two > who > wants to learn to fix stuff? Intelligent articulate adult, writes > well, > generally clever, but no mechanical knowledge, available as mechanical > assistant in return for education about Vanagon repairs.

Charlie Ford did something like that on his big traveling tour. I recall he hooked up with a pro mechanic in Seattle for a few months. He didn't know much of anything when he started, and learned first-hand starting from zero. he was pretty comfortable with mechanical things by the time he came up and stayed with us for a little bit. He started sweeping floors and doing the odd oil change and progressed to getting in and helping with engine rebuilds. I don't think he asked for much in exchange except the opportunity to learn. He had a great time, and found the whole thing to be a great expanding confidence-building exercise. If you search the Vanagon list archives for "Charlie Ford" you'll find his posts about his travels. It'll be in there somewhere.

T.