Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:34:56 -0700
From:         Mike Pedersen <mikeped@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Power steering pump cross reference part numbers
Comments: To: Jim Thompson <jim@karmannghia.com>

Jim,

That's not the rebuilders number it is the number on the ZF original build plate! When I Googled it I got some cached Finnish website with an exploded ETKA/ELSA diagram showing that exact pump.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:U0fRlXr0YYIJ:koti.mbnet.fi/~mikhauta/ohj austehostin.htm+%22026+145+155%22&hl=en

I don't think the pump repair kit will help me since there is no leakage, just excessive axial shaft play. When I searched the archives, someone had listed interchangibility with an Audi 80, others mentioned using a BMW 318 ps pump with a lower operating pressure sucsessfully. I also found that the ZF Audi 80 pump replaced a Lister pump... Interesting. Anyways I will order another one to see what part number comes this time...

Regards,

Mike Pedersen '88 Westy GL Automatic Powell River, BC

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Thompson [mailto:jim@karmannghia.com] Sent: August 24, 2004 5:24 PM To: Mike Pedersen; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Power steering pump cross reference part numbers

I don't know where the rebuilder gets the 026 145 155, as it's a bogus number in my VW/Audi Database as well as in ETKA. Most Audi & Watercooled VWs thru 80s and early 90s used a Vane-Type Pump, 027 145 157 series (manufactured by Saginaw, a USA company) (amongst others), but nothing with an "026" prefix.

VW themselves in ETKA specifically state that the pump is unique to Vanagons based on the 251 422 155 (X), and there is no supersession, can use or interchangeability with 026 422 155 based on my latest reference data (and possibly for good reason).

The innards may be interchangeable. The pump repair kit is 026 198 049 A. It is the only instance that the "026" prefix appears.

Weird........

Jim Thompson oldvolkshome@earthlink.net jim@karmannghia.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************** ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Pedersen" <mikeped@SHAW.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 4:20 PM Subject: Power steering pump cross reference part numbers