Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:07:53 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <j.michael.elliott@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Swamp cooler, old threads never die

I note that Swampy's Model MW1 "MightyKool 3-Speed Personal Cooler Equipped with Powerful Twin Brushless Energy Saving Motors" (!!!) , a small, 3-lb unit which draws only .9, 1.3, or 1.6 amperes (Low, Medium, High settings), seems to be targeted at folks on a tight energy budget.

http://www.swampy.net/wb.html

I searched the archives to see if anyone had posted any experiences with this unit and found nothing.

I did find that most any post asking about swamp (evaporative) coolers resulted in responses stating that swamp coolers don't work well when the air is humid (less evaporation) and better with dry air. So that's been covered. But actual, anecdotal experience there was little of.

On a recent houseboating trip to Lake Powell, the roofmount swamp cooler did a great job cooling the cabin even though the microclimate 10' above the water was surprisingly moist for the desert (the upper deck was very damp all night long -- I know: I slept up there so I could see the stars).

So just in case someone new to the group has tried this unit in a dry climate (like where I tend to camp, in the western U.S.), I'd like to hear your experience.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 VW Type 2 / 84 Westy: A poor but proud race. KG6RCR