Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:13:58 +1000
From:         Stephen Overmyer <S.OVERMYER@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Replacment of the clutch master cylinder

Hi Everyone,

I recently had a big day as the Wasserboxer was due for a minor service at 263,000kms and also I had to investigate a hydraulic fluid leak appearing as a few small drips on the floor below the clutch and brake pedals. Turned out to be a leaking clutch master cylinder.....no big deal, just a bastard to get to...:)

I also felt it was time to repack the CVs as I've never touched them in the whole 263,000kms and I could feel a slight vibration under acceleration that felt like CVs....Well it was only when I removed the CVs and cleaned & inspected them, I realized repacking wasn't going to fix the wear spots in the casings thru the hardened surface...so the day just got a bit bigger with 4 Cvs to replace, not to mention the mess of playing with CV grease.

I also thought it was time for a good look at the front disc pads since they have only been replaced once, along with the rotors at around 125,000kms. Pads were worn, not completely gone but hey, since I'm there I may as well do them too. What the hell it's only money right? Rotors are still fine, only the slightest of lips on the outer surface so they should be good for the foreseeable future...I filed the edges off the new brake pads to avoid the lip and in they went.

Now everything is fine and dandy...not bad for about 5 hours work incl bleeding the hydraulic system...the clutch and brakes feel good , no CV vibration and another routine service out of the way. First replacement of the clutch MS in 12 years & 263,000kms, first look at the CVs in the same time and distance and only now at 263,000kms, the van is on it's third set of front pads. The rears, shoes and drums were replaced at around 150,00kms and the second set are still going fine.

So much for Volkswagen (alleged lack of )reliability eh ? ;)

Anyway having said that, I may have a little problem but if so, I'm blaming pilot error ;)

The clutch master cylinder's manifestation of drips onto the rubber floor was I found, after it had been slowly leaking down under the floor mat onto the metal floor under the driver's feet for I assume the past few weeks. No obvious drop in the reservoir and no apparent problem with the clutch either for that matter...

I cleaned up all the leaked fluid however, after driving the van a few days during the past week, I keep finding a little fluid residue back on the floor under the rubber mats on the flat part of the floor. Oh bugger, I still have a MS leak was my first thought but there is no apparent leak at the MS, none on the floor directly under the pedals, nor has the fluid reservoir level fallen.

Is it possible that the rubber floor mats have absorbed some of the leaked hydraulic fluid and the heat from the coolant pipes warming the floor has caused it to sweat back out onto the floor?

I really don't *think* I still have a leak but I'm not fully dismissing it either however I'd prefer to go with the rubber sweating theory if I can...;)

Is this feasible...or am I more likely in denial? ;)

Thanks, Steve O NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '00 Transporter Double Cab '03 Transporter Double Cab (work truck) '78 Landrover Series 3 Soft top (ex-Aust.Army)