Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:09:27 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] dual battery isolator
Comments: To: randy charrette <randy_charrette@yahoo.com>
Comments: cc: vanagon@volkswagen.org, Westyman <syncrowestytd@mindspring.com>,
          VWVANFULLTIMERS <VWVANFULLTIMERS@yahoogroups.com>,
          Syncro list <syncro@yahoogroups.com>

Although many folks have had success with conventional isolators, they are overall a bad idea. Yes they can be more reliable than relays since they avoid dirty or welded contacts, but they are inefficient. For starters, after they get warm the actual voltage drop is closer to 1.1 volt. At 90 amps, the isolater is dissapating almost 100 watts. This is why they need heat sinks. You are paying for this power. Now, with this voltage drop, you are getting less than 13 volts to the batteries and accessories. Ok, so now you can modify the regulator to increase the voltage or use a remote sense wire to compensate. At full load the limiting factor of an alternators capacity is its own resistance. Thus at full load, it is only slightly more than 50% efficient. Yes, 1/2 the power produced is given off as heat in the alternator itself. That is why they have a big fan and they still get hot. So, we increase the voltage of the alternator by 1.1 volt so at 90 amps the alternator dissipates an additi onal 100 watts of heat. Can we say shorter life? So at full load, we are wasting ~200 watts of power due to the use of the isolator. Under ideal conditions, 1 HP = 746 watts. Not that you will notice but we are wasting .26 HP here. The big issue here is the load on the alternator.

Dennis

----- Original Message ----- From: randy charrette <randy_charrette@yahoo.com> Date: Monday, August 23, 2004 8:25 am Subject: RE: [Syncro] dual battery isolator