Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:59:25 -0500
From:         Andrew Gies <agies@CANGENE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Beetle TDI test drive (almost no vanagon content)

I learned how to drive on an '85 VW Golf diesel. The thing was basically indestructible. If the body hadn't rusted out on it at about 400K it would still be around today I am sure.

As for timing chains/belts - our '85 broke two of them (my dad wasn't too concerned with preventative maintenance) - both times my brother was behind the wheel - and both times he didn't know what was wrong and tried to restart the engine. No serious damage was done in either case, the chain was replaced, nothing more.

I purchased an '02 Golf TDI brand new from the dealer. It was loaded with everything except the auto trans. Other than a couple annoying issues (nothing mechanical) - I had no trouble with the car. Unfortunately I sold it last year to save on money to go back to university.

The TDI's are an absolute dream to drive. You never have to wind up the engine to speed up and I you can drove the thing 1100km on about 50 litres of fuel going 110kmph on the highway (the jettas/golfs/beetles anyway).

I took it through the Canadian Rockies twice - and NEVER had to get out of 5th gear. The thing just chugs up the hills like nobody's business. I just did the same trip in my GF's '02 civic - and it spent most of the time labouring up the hills spinning like a top at 4500 rpm.

I have heard various stories about reliability issues with the newer Jettas - but no car is invincible - even those Subaru's (when did these become the pinnacle of reliability anyway?!). My friend just busted the transmission in his late model Impreza a couple months back...

The dealers here let you take the TDIs for weekend long test drives. I would take them up on this offer. You will end up loving the car.

Andrew

-----Original Message----- From: Chris S. [mailto:mrpolak@YAHOO.COM] Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 12:15 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Beetle TDI test drive (almost no vanagon content)

Jeremy,

Opinions are like armpits, and this list needs lots of deodorant. :-)

Here's my contribution, based on facts and experience, to the stench:

I bought my 2001 NB TDI, 5sp, on December 7th with 67K miles on it for under $12K at the local VW dealer. It came with all the options except heated seats, so I have the leather and the sunroof. I've put over 20K miles on it since then and I've had NO PROBLEMS with it. I did have to change the timing belt at 80K miles, which ain't cheap.

Fact #1: I get 47MPG with cruise set at 75 mph. Fact #2: The car handles better and brakes better than my girlfriend's 2002 Honda Accord (despite what the guy from New Zealand will tell you), and it outruns it too. Fact #3: I'm saving over $2400 per year in fuel costs over my Westy. Fact #4: It's damned wierd filling up with 12 gallons every 10 to 14 days of driving to work and around town.

There's no way I'd have paid 22K for a new one, but a used NB or a Golf sure is attractive given that the engine will go over 300K miles. My previous VWs and Audis all went over or close to 200K miles before they were passed on to other owners.

===== Chris S.'85 Westy Camel -> http://www.knology.net/~vw/vws/camel/ '84 Westy Hershey -> http://www.knology.net/~vwghost/hershey/ '01 NB TDI -> http://www.knology.net/~vw/Beetle.jpg

******************************************************************* CONFIDENTIAL - This e-mail transmission and any documents attached to it may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering this transmission to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy the original transmission, attachments, and destroy any hard copies.