Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Aug 2004 04:04:25 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      On the road (NOT!)
Comments: To: subaruvanagon@yahoogroups.com

So I picked up my SVX converted Westy Syncro from Small Car on Saturday. Not everything was done (parts not in), so I hung around the Seattle area until Monday (well, actually I was camping up in the Olympic National Forest on one of the fireroads. Nice spot too, if a bit damp.) 200 miles on the conversion then back to Small Car on Monday.

On Monday springs and shocks were installed and I was on the road at 1pm. Later (by 2 days) that I had intended. I headed out and in a bit of insane driving got to Denver by 11am Tuesday (local time...which is +1 hour from Seattle.)

In Denver my interior was reinstalled (I'll be putting up a web page to show everybody how nice it is.) Only issue of note on the drive was avoiding a really nasty dust devil in Eastern Washington (more like a weak tornado) I used the brakes (disc brakes in rear, big brakes in front). I like my brakes a LOT now.

SewFine did my interior incredibly fast (well, everything was prepped already, so it was just installation on this trip). I was on the road again by Wednesday 3pm. Middle of Nebraska and a nice night's sleep. Then onward to Chicagoland.

Got to Chicago and picked up my camping AC from Terry K. Left his place around 9:30pm. Headed north and then picked up the Eisenhower Expressway east. And disaster struck.

High water temperature idiot light starts blinking. I pull over immediately. Temperature guage is reading WAY too high also. After letting things cool down a bit, I check and sure enough I'm way low on water. Must have a leak somewhere but I don't see it. I add water. And more water. Finally it's topped up. I go to start it and it won't start.

So I sit on the side of the expressway trying a few things. (and running my generator to recharge the battery.) No luck. State Patrol stopped by, and a few other emergency vehicles. Finally a flatbed tow truck wandered by and I got towed into Cicero.

Tomorrow we'll see if the shop can figure what's the deal. Maybe I'll be on the road again by the afternoon.