Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Aug 2004 07:52:23 -0400
From:         Eric Zeno <vw4x4@FYI.NET>
Subject:      known Vanagon problems
Comments: To: Cory Sammons <slagskot@HOTMAIL.COM>

I have compiled a list of unusually COMMON problems that have shown up in our beloved Vanagons. I'm not including regular maintenance items like brakes, or light bulbs after 100,000 miles. These are problems I have seen in a lot of Vanagons that are regular premature problem. I am looking for suggestions to add to this list. Here is what I have so far: 2-25-2002

Common Vanagon Problems------ 1 - Water Leaks: front windshield, side seals, side windows 2 - Head Gaskets: need I say more 3 - Water pump: every 50,000 miles 4 - Rear hatch struts: hatch falls 5 - Rear heater: core leaks 6 - Engine idle controls: throtle switch out of adjustment, idle stab controller unit fails, idle stab valve gets gummed up. 7 - fuel leaks: cigar tube, clamps rust, hose brittle Plastic fuel fitting on firewall fails Fuel tank vent system leaks 8 - Front heater: blow motor seizes,blows fuse, burns switch 9 - Front heater duct/control: internal flap seals deteriorate, air leaks 10 - head light ground wire: wire to small, low voltage, head lights dim 11 - Electrical connections: crimp connectors get hot/melt, several bad grounds 12 - Power door locks: esp. driver's door, wiring harness breaking, out of adjustment 13 - Ignition switch: gets intermittent, hot when high beam are on. 14 - Headlight switch: Melts, quits 15 - Inside sliding door handle: not strong enough internally, socket splits 16 - cooling system parts leak: plastic components, distributor on fire wall, expansion tank cracks, pressure cap. leaks, hose clamps loose 17 - body rust: Seams rust, Cavity in front of tail lights 18 - Clutch pedal linkage: clevis pin wear, play in pedel 19 - Power steering: rack leaks fluid. 20 - Engine performace problem: ECU, wiring to (or) temp. sensor, O2 sensor, constant speed shutter, AFM wearout (bucking). 21 - Non-power side mirrors: mirror will not stay in place, rust in socket 22 - Clutch: chatter 23 - Early slide windows -- glued bearing pieces fall out

Syncro------ 1 - Drive shaft: vibration/balance problem 2 - Transaxle: creeper gear trying to escape, blows hold in case 3 - Transaxle: Synchronizers 3th and 4th break, can not shift 4 - Viscous Coupling: locks up or completely free, hard to detect 5 - fuel sending unit: rusts out, wire breaks off, gauge dead

Camper------

1 - Fridge: Pilot light blowing out while driving