Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:29:29 -0700
From:         Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM>
Subject:      Feedback on rebuilt 2.1L AVP Engine Performance
Comments: To: "wetwesties@yahoogroups." <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>,
          vanagon@yahoogroups.com, Syncro@yahoogroups.com

Volks,

Some may remember a while back I installed a New Rebuilt Engine purchased from Ron at Bus Depot.

Waterboxer Rebuilt Engine, 2.1 Liter

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=025100771

This engine was rebuilt by AVP Worldwide

http://www.avpworldwide.com/index.html

I have since gone from Montréal to Arizona ... Some 9363 miles donw the road.

I thought it might be worthwhile to do a intermin product report.

Details

Purchase Date: 05.18.04 Install Date: 07.01.04 Current Mileage on engine: 9363 Retail Price of the engine: $1749.95

Customer service AVP (1-10)= 9 -Erin was a great help in answering questions and sorting out shipping and receiving issues

Customer Service Bus Depot (1-10) = 10 - Ron, really stepped up and did a lot to help me out of a jam (stranded

with a blown engine). - Karen was extraordinary in helping sort out a customs problem with the core refund.

Comments:

Engine received was complete and had all parts and documentation required.

Engine Performance:

- Compression on all cylinders was nicely balanced although a bit on the

low side.

Compression at install ... Checked cold Cyl 1 - 140 psi Cyl 2 - 135 psi Cyl 3 - 135 psi Cyl 4 - 140 psi

Compression after 868 miles ... ... Checked cold Cyl 1 - 135 psi Cyl 2 - 125 psi Cyl 3 - 130 psi Cyl 4 - 138 psi

- Engine seems a bit low powered ... But there may be other issues with the setup and tune computer, O2 sensor etc). - 1 or 2 lifters are rather noisy at start up. But things quiet down after 2-3 minutes and all is fine until the next start up after it has been sitting a while. - Reliability so far has been excellent. - Oil pressure and water temp are fine. - MPG performance after 9363 miles has averaged a respectable 17 mpg.

For the price .... I would rate the AVP Rebuilt Engine a 8 (1-10)

Perhaps other engines are available with better performance ... But also at a higher cost.

So far .. The AVP engine seems to be a Very Good Value for the Money ... in my opinion.

Larry Chase Email: RoadGuy@RoadHaus.com Web: WWW.RoadHaus.com What: North American Road Trip How: RoadHaus - 1990 White VW Westfalia Syncro Today: somewhere in AZ