Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Aug 2004 02:27:23 -0700
From:         BenT <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: steel/alloy wheels
Comments: To: Ron Komoroski <motresyklman@lynchburg.net>

Ron,

The rear studs DO NOT need replacement if you are installing VW stock alloys with 60° degree conical seat lugnuts and bolts.

VW did not want to have to switch studs in order to offer optional alloy wheels to potential Buyers. To solve the problem caused by the thicker mounting pads was solved by the conical seat lugnuts and bolts which "reached in" further than the ballseat lugnuts commonly used on steel wheels. It has been discussed in this forum that as long as you get the requisite 7.5 turns, you have safe attachment per VW specs on stock threads.

Take care when using aftermarket lugnuts, They frequently have a smaller seat compared to the VW ones. Most have 17mm heads as opposed tothe 19mm heads on VW nuts/bolts. I can have a few VW South African lugbolts for 2wd applications but no nuts. I can assist you with that if you have not found an alternative. They are $3 each IIRC. Anyway, pmail me if you need them. I also have lugnuts but these are the small base aftermarket ones. Many of our listvendors offer these as well.

BenT http://members.aol.com/bentbtstr8/myhomepage/index.html

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:01:34 -0400, Ron Komoroski <motresyklman@lynchburg.net> wrote: > Many thanks to all who responded to my question about the need for different > lug bolts/nuts when changing from steel to alloy wheels. I called my local > VW dealer this AM, parts guy said he couldn't see where I needed to change > the rear studs (same part no). One of the replies I got mentioned rear stud > change. Who's right, list or VW? > Price of front lug bolts/rear lug nuts for the alloys from dlr was obscene, > anyone have any laying around? reasonably priced sources? (local foreign > auto parts said he had no source). > Thanks again, > Ron Komoroski