Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:44:22 -0400
From:         Paul Guzyk <paullist@GUZYK.COM>
Subject:      Removing Fridge from 84 Westy tips

Today I pulled the fridge on my 84 Westy to see where the "burning rubber" smell was coming from when running on propane.

I wanted to pull just the fridge, not the entire stove/sink/fridge cabinet.

Here's some info that seems to be omitted from Bentley section 76.24 that may help you (if your setup is the same as my 1984)

a) After turning off the main gas valve outside on the propane tank, light both burners on the stove to get rid of any propane still in the lines. (They will burn for around 30 seconds).

b) After you remove the external vent cover, you need to remove the 2 slotted head screws that hold the fridge “chimney” to the vent. (The screws are on the outside of the van).

b) Make sure you disconnect the Fridge propane line, NOT THE STOVE LINE. The arrow #7 in figure 76-104 points to the gas line for the fridge, however, I made the mistake of disconnecting the Propane fitting that was visible in the cabinet space near arrow #7. It turns out that that fitting was for the stove. D’ohh!

After I started yanking the fridge out, I realized the Fridge propane fitting was still connected and I bent up/ruined the fridge propane line. (Even with everything disconnected the fridge seemed to be a tight fit between the plywood cabinet pieces). I ended up cutting the propane line in the middle of the right cabinet with a copper pipe cutter, Now I’ll have to replace it somehow. :(

On my fridge there are two propane fittings. One near the faceplate control valve, one near the rear of the fridge mounted in the top right corner. The one in the top right rear is the one to disconnect in order to move the fridge out.

I wish I had done the steps below. Hopefully you'll read this in the archives before you do the same stupid thing I did. Too bad Mr. Bentley didn't mention it:

Before moving the fridge, remove the small (approx 6”x6”) grill (two screws) to the left of the stove just above the top loading storage cabinets and swing away table.

Look through this opening and make sure nothing is stopping the fridge from coming out. You may even be able to remove the Fridge propane line fitting through this opening. Perhaps you can reach the fitting from the right cabinet. Either way, LOOK before you pull and make sure you disconnect the correct propane fitting!