Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:52:46 -0700
From:         Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: raising the pop-top - and neat trick for closing the top
Comments: To: Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>

I agree the "vacum" created may make raising the top significantly harder.

You might try using a strut, like a peice of 2x4, and if you are shorter a small step of some type to get a bit more leverage. You have more strength lifting your arms from a lower postition, the strut will help to do this.

When I lift my top I stand next to the stove facing out the sliding door. I release the top with my left hand and then with my right hand on the cross bar and my left hand on the inside of the roof just left of the bar I push up on the roof with my left hand and push up on the bar with my right hand, as the top is going up I turn left (facing the windshield now) and place both hands on the bar and push it the rest of the way to lock open.

ALSO, I have to thank one of the other vanagon posters for a tip in how to CLOSE the top and fold the canvas, it REALLY works well.

Close all windows in the van including the skylight. zipp all canvas windows shut. release the strut and let the top go! it PARACHUTES down.

This gives you time to PUSH OUTWARD on the TWO FRONT CORNERS OF THE CANVAS and roll and fold things as the top is slowly coming down.

While using this method I do a much better job at making sure my canvas is not pinched or hanging out and it is folded up much better for storage.

Another great tip I learned from the vanagon community , it works excellent! and its kind of FUN.

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gerald Masar" <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2004 12:11 PM Subject: Re: raising the pop-top