Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Jul 2012 14:43:57 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Questions: 1.9l Turbo Diesel Westy running hot. Weak cooling?
Comments: To: Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA>

that very conventional pressure cap is used just on 82 and 83 diesel vanagons , off the top of my head. And not on jettas or rabbits, or waterboxer vanagons etc.

it was also 'the type of cap' that was used on ALL cars, 99 % of american cars for decades. It's a very standard style. around 14 psi. If you take it to a parts store and they can not just match it up, they are very lame. Or tell them you want one for a 65 Ford. It's THE most common style radiator pressure cap in the world.

normally you want the 'lever vent' style...a lever you lift up to relieve pressure first. Though the version without that feature works too. Look at the underside of the cap .. and see a small round valve there. That is the 'coolant recovery valve' .. a 65 Ford wouldn't have that feature, but later cars will. You need that feature on your cap. It's super common. Nearly as common as a quart of oil , well not THAT common, but VERY common.

It's always my fear that a dumb parts person can't deal with being a little creative, when I know darn well they probably have a dozen caps on the shelf behind them that will work.

here's one http://www.amazon.com/Stant-10331-Lev-R-Vent-Radiator-Cap/dp/B000B8LKZ0

this one is 16psi , a bit higher than you want. This style cap is commonly in the 12 to 14 psi range for older cars. Sometimes the tabs that lock the cap to the radiator or pressure bottle vary slightly .. I've had a to do a tiny bit of grinding at times to make one fit just right.

Scott www.turbovans.com

On 7/2/2012 2:12 PM, Poppie Jagersand wrote: > Update on the '82 Vanagon Diesel Westy hot running issue. > > > Swapped in new water pump and thermostat. No more drips, and at idle temp settles a bit lower on the scale, just on LED as opposed to just above. > > Now there is no dripping, but it does still not build much pressure in the cooling system. > > Pressure cap is now the next suspect. (Since it opens and vents coolant into the overflow tank instead of building pressure) > > Will try to find a new one. Is the '82 Diesel pressure cap common across other VW's (will determine how easily I will find one) > > Discussion: > Most likely the hot running we experienced on a hot day was due to more than one issue. No one critical on it self but all combining to make the cooling system weaker: > > 1. hot weather and high load driving into a headwind. > > 2. Cooling system does not build the proper 15 PSI pressure so coolant boils at lower temps. > 3. Weak radiator. Original '82 steel type. I measured temps on both sides. Coolant in 90C, driver side also near 90C, pass side top (outflow) 70C. So seems like it is mostly the upper part of the rad that does the work. > > 4. Maybe a bit lower flow to radiator due to pump/thermostat. > > Thanks for help. Work continues. > Martin and '82 Westy 1.9TD > > > > ________________________________ > From: Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@yahoo.ca> > To: "diesel-vanagon@yahoogroups.com" <diesel-vanagon@yahoogroups.com> > Cc: "vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM" <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Sunday, July 1, 2012 11:56:46 PM > Subject: Re: Questions: 1.9l Turbo Diesel Westy running hot. Weak cooling? > > > Update: Pulled water pump with housing as many suggested. > When flipped downward black water drips from the water pump shaft. > Installed water pump was a German HEPU with the cast metal impeller. > > New water pump will be the Brazilian VW one I had on hand. Also cast metal impeller. > > Checked thermostat: 87C Behr Thompson. Worked per spec. Opens in high 80's and gives a 7.5mm stroke at 100C rolling boil in a pot. > > Replaced thermostat anyway to see if it helps. New thermostat is a Wahler that has a slightly bigger valve opening (31mm vs 29mm). Might give better flow. > > Cleared kitchen table so Wife and Kids won;t complain in the morning. Pump housing is ready to install in Westy tomorrow morning. > > Will see if this helps. Perhaps anyway time to look for an 83-84 newer radiator, mounts and > hoses as Scott and others suggested. > > Thanks, > Martin and '82 Westy >