Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Jul 2012 18:40:49 -0400
From:         pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Engine swap project report

I just wanted to finally post an overview of the engine swap project we undertook in May.

The catalyst was low oil pressure gauge reading in our 1.9l. We started occasionally having a flickering oil light at idle and a mechanical gauge confirmed oil pressure was indeed low. It's quite possible it would have gone a while like that before blowing up, but we live in Manhattan currently, and people look at you funny when you try to drop an engine on the side of the road. So we decided to replace the engine on our terms and our schedule.

We got a rebuilt 2.1 from Gary Leblanc at Suburban engine exchange. Gary was very helpful and easy to communicate with. (Note to potential customers; his website is not up to date, correct prices are in his ads on thesamba). This was an outright sale since our engine was a 1.9 but he gave us a small discount on the core fee. I got together various other parts I wanted to replace at the same time (water pump, freshly cleaned injectors, aluminum injector rails, etc etc etc etc) and also bit the bullet and bought a complete 2.1 exhaust from Gowesty. This was a bit of an impulse purchase (they had a 10% off sale for earth-day) but in hindsight I'm really glad I did this. The 2.1 exhaust is much more solid and my old exhaust was in worse condition than I thought.

I also had an extra input shaft seal and oil slinger for the transmission on hand. I had an air plenum from an '85 1.9 that I got from Scott... this is the style that bolts directly onto the 2.1 case but is otherwise a 1.9 compatible plenum.

Since we live in Manhattan, we had to do the work somewhere else. My parents live in Pittsburgh and could lend me a spot in their garage. I had a week off work in May, so, after picking up the engine from Gary in Boston at the end of April, we drove the pickle to Pittsburgh with the new engine in the cabin.

I dropped the engine with Zoltan's sawhorse method. I didn't have a helper and I can say this method was very easy with one person. I didn't even jack up the van until the engine was completely on the ground (on a drip tray). Then I just jacked up the rear right corner and pulled it out. I'd say the first day was 4 hours from opening the hatch to the engine on the ground.

Then I started the process of transferring components slowly and carefully. In the process, I noticed that the hall connector on my distributor was broken, and in fishing for the other end of it inside the distributor, I ruined the shutter wheel in the process of disassembly. Ken at Vanagain (who also supplied most of the other new parts for job) hooked me up with a rebuild kit the next day so I didn't really lose much time.

While everything was out I removed the bell housing from the transmission to get at the oil input shaft seal (no major leaks, just taking precautions) and found that the oil slinger was indeed loose. I had been prepared for this possibility because I did the pilot bearing a few years back and didn't check it then. (I've heard that pilot bearing failure can sometimes knock the oil slinger loose, and then cause the seal to fail eventually). Even the new slinger wasn't quite a press fit so I cleaned and roughed up the appropriate surfaces and jb welded the new one into place. Replaced the input shaft seal and put the bell housing back on with RTV sealant. Filled with Swepco 210 (took a *long* time to fill).

Since we were on a strict time limit I would not even consider the idea of trying to update the cooling system at the same time. To deal with the lack of an oil cooler I got one of Chris Corkin's (tencentlife on the samba) kits and I can say it was a really well thought out kit. Really glad to have it. (I can't give performance data since I don't have an oil temp gauge and I changed the engine at the same time I installed the cooler!)

Something else I did was replace the nasty foam stuff above the transmission and beneath the rear seat. Some kind of foamy insulation stuff. I replaced it with this stuff: http://www.soundproofcow.com/Quiet-Barrier-Specialty-Composite.html I think it did help with transmission noise but too many variables changed when I did this job (like the Swepco 210 instead of redline) to really point any fingers. The reason I bothered to replace it at all is that at some point a while back I had pulled some of the old stuff out, and at the time thought I noticed a distinct increase in transmission noise.

4 days later I had everything back together. First turn of the key and... nothing!!! A few headaches later and I realize I have the timing off by 180. With that fixed it starts right up and I go through break-in procedures. I used redline break-in additive to get extra ZDDP in the oil for the camshaft.

On our drive back to New York the alternator pulley self-destructed. I posted details about this to the list already so I won't recap---we did notice the idiot light right away and so avoided overheating, thankfully. The alternator situation was fixed with the kind help of listmembers and others and we were on our way. Later, on a camping trip, the coolant light was blinking intermittently with no actual abnormal coolant behavior (again, emails about this are already in the archive). A bad ground in the dash foil was to blame; this problem went away once I made a wiring harness to replace the foil (again, in the archives.)

Other than those hiccups everything has been terrific. We're at 1500 miles now. We have no leaks or drips at all, although, in fairness, our nice 1.9 had no leaks either (I had gone through the top end 4 years ago or so).

The engine feels great. Towards the end of our drive back from Pittsburgh I did the 30-50 test a few times and got 8.5 seconds each time. I did the test carefully, watching the tach instead of the bouncy speedometer (for rpms determined by comparing with GPS speeds) but I still think it seems a bit too good to be true compared to the results I've seen. I haven't had a chance to do it again yet since once we're back in the city, our driving (leaving the city and going to the catskills and then returning) seems to offer no safe flat chances for the test. I'll report back if I do confirm it. Maybe a camping trip to long island will provide more opportunities.

Our 1.9 went to a vanagonaut in Pittsburgh who was going to use it to get his van mobile. With any luck it will give him a few more years.

Thanks to all the listmembers who gave advice at various stages of this process! -Wes