Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Jul 2012 10:14:13 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bus Depot A/C Compressor Sanden 508

Or, it may be old stock and they were trying to warm people not to use household freon in it back in the day when those were the two choices.

In any event, they are all the same is what I have been told by many an experience AC technician. Not to worry. When you add oil, the only oil you will be able to buy is the oil you need.

I have converted about six (soon to be seven) auto AC systems to 134, never changed a compressor nor was I ever warned to.

Jim

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > ---- J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET> wrote: >> I ordered one, it came while I was out of town. Before ordering I called and asked if it was R-134 compatible and was told yes, either R12 or R134. It has a sticker on it that says "R12" and thats it-so is it safe to assume it is NOT compatible with R134? In which case it is going back, I never would have purchased a an R12 only compressor! Any have any experience with this? > > I can't speak for the Bus Depot sourced compressor. I did have my AC system converted to R134a by a very reputable (and capable in my experience) shop. They did not change the compressor, but rather cleared the system with a solvent for the purpose, and used the new R134a compatible oil. I would discuss the matter with the vendor and perhaps the manufacturer. R134a is a higher pressure gas than is R12, and a compressor special for it might run at higher pressure. But my system cools well. > > That said, a lot of labeling on products is CYA motivated. I wash wool items in my washing machine on delicate setting with mild detergents all the time. Almost all of them are labeled "Dry Clean Only." But, I learned from my mother, who learned from her mother how to wash clothes. I doubt my grandmother, and certainly not her grandmother, ever took anything to a dry cleaning establishment. Good luck. mcneely > > >> >> >> >> >> Jeff Stewart > > -- > David McNeely