Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Jul 2012 12:26:30 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: exh stud - drilling out is tough
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>

Drilling these studs can be a real bear! You need to start with a very small drill and work your way up. Slow speeds and high pressure. Lubrication. Once the bit losses its edge the material work hardens making drilling even more difficult. For the one with a stub you can try mig welding a nut to the stud. The new found wrench surface and heat shock will often get the stud loose enough to turn out.

Dennis