Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:24:31 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Stuck starter
Comments: To: Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>

If you can't unscrew the flathead screws just drill them out and get some new screws, they're common metric sized screw at Ace Hardware.

Stan Wilder More power with performance coatings. www.engineceramics.com

Are there any tricks to disassembling the starter? Are you using an impact driver to loosen the screws that hold the solenoid housing? When I had this problem, I wasn't able to take out the flat-head screws on the solenoid housing and I ended up buying a new starter from VolksCafe. Works great now. :-)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:35:08 -0500, Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > Most times, and that's eight or more. > In the last ten years I've been able to clean the solenoids and get the > starters working again. > There is as always the4 fact that starters get old and fail but I'd remove > and clean the solenoid before I started throwing $100.00 bills at vendors. > I just cleaned the solenoid on my 912e Porsche and blew out the loose dust > and copper filings that fall from the brushes and that fixed my 28 year old > starter. > > Stan Wilder > More power with performance coatings. > www.engineceramics.com > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf Of > Lastfogel, Darren > Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 1:42 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Stuck starter > > This is the start of a failure or just some grime causing it to stick I had > a corsica stick once then never again over the next 3 years, I would say > ride it out a little and see how it goes. If it becomes an issue have it > rebuilt or replace it. > > -----Original Message----- > From: Melvin Mudgett-Price [mailto:mprice@ACMEX.COM] > Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 1:36 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Stuck starter > > Over the weekend the van wouldn't start. Traced it down to a stuck > starter motor. Quick tap with a hammer and it started. Does this mean > the starter is going bad or is there something I can do to prolong its > life? > --- > Incoming mail is certified Virus Free. > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > Version: 6.0.745 / Virus Database: 497 - Release Date: 8/27/2004 > > --- > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > Version: 6.0.745 / Virus Database: 497 - Release Date: 8/27/2004 > --- Incoming mail is certified Virus Free by AVG. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.745 / Virus Database: 497 - Release Date: 8/27/2004