Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:09:40 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      trip report

A couple of weeks ago I returned form a 2 week trip in B.C. It was a repeat of a trip wife and I made 10 years ago after my van had gas engine installed. here is a summary...

first pre trip Van prep (van was diesel, now has 1800 I4):

replaced all ball joints in front end (while doing a tie rod end myself I noticed a torn boot on one of the upper ball joints. Not wanting to press it out myself I took it to russell at Autospiel. They found when the van was on the lift, that all 4 boots were ripped. I decided to have them all replaced as the cost of the joints were minor compared to the labour cost. Final cost for repair was around Can$300. Front end aligned, was barely out of spec.

Changed oil (Mobil 1), new filter (Mann).

Installed my aux battery (small 30 A/hr gel cell behind rhs tail light). Used a 70 amp relay from Audi instead of my old "starter-like" rv relay which I had given to neighbour. It worked just fine. It's installed so that all of the van's electrics are live when ign off except for headlights and starter.

Fooled around with cheap adjustable internal volt reg on alternator. Was not happy with it, need to look at it again. Did not trust it on trip so stock unit used.

topped up propane ($2)

new spark plugs, Bosch copper core. I find these to work as well as the platinums.

Made modifications to my aluminum roof rack which didn't work (night before leaving rush, I just don't learn!) Canoe strapped to van in my old fashion (can be seen on my website).

New cap for expansion tank on cooling system. This is the old diesel tank that has a metal cap. Hard to find VW replacement but Russ had a BMW one that fits. I had been using, for years, one with a cracked seal which allowed a little bit of burping into the overflow tank. New one solved that problem.

We left from Vancouver Island on a Wed morning. Ferry from Swartz Bay to mainland. North through Vancouver and up sea-to-sky hwy through Whistler to Nairn Falls Prov. campsite for first night. Our hot summer weather had just broken and it was raining off and on. Spent nice late afternoon looking at the falls (quite spectacular) and hosting a mouse in our van.

Next morning off north through Pemberton and up over coast mountains (very nice pass) and down into Lilloet. Lunched, and on across Fraser river, then north to Pavillion where we left paved roads and climbed about 1000 ft up onto the Fraser bench-lands. Through the clouds and into sun. Dirt road wet rolling terrain, mixed lodgepole fir and range-land. In some spots very slick red mud. Onto Jesmond (no town, just a couple of farms) where 10 years ago wife and I turned west and went down very steep hill (25%) to get closer to Fraser river. This year we passed as the roads were still wet and I remember the steep hill showing signs of washout. So we went on to Little Big Bar lake and camped in forest service site. Nice small lake, lots of bird life. One other camper there (fisher), we had secluded site. Canoeing and exploring the next couple of days until weather settled back into hot!

From there we went north, along Fraser, sagebrush, small cactus, dry and nicely hot. Crossed Fraser on "smal"l suspension bridge and up nothtwest through the Gang Ranch, heading in a vector that would take us to the Williams Lake-Bella Coola hwy (sorry I can't remember hwy numbers). Before we reached that hwy we stopped at forest service campsite on Fletcher lake. not a very nice site in comparison to others, but pretty lake. Other campers included a group of women in 2 west Eurovans. They were dubbed the "men with bras". My son cemented his leech attraction reputation immediately. Funny though, unlike his mum he thinks its neat to have one :)

Next day on to aforementioned hwy (intersection at "Lee's Corner", gas station-cafe-store" and west to Hanceville to have lunch at nice little restaurant and replenish milk and booze supplies. Gave into son and allowed him to buy cap gun :)

Now back east to Lee's Corner for gas (Can $0.99/litre) and back down road south east a ways before turning NW heading to Nemiah Valley/Chilko lake. Road in very good shape. We got close to Nemiah, Mt Tatlow appeared, magnificent! 3081 m. We split off and headed to Vedan lake (bypassing road to Chaunigan lake, another 300 m steep climb where 10 years ago battery in van came adrift and shorted causing a brief electrical fire and heart-failure. Chuanigan lake is a prime fishing lake, and a jewel) and heading instead to Vedan lake forest service site. No one else there, set up camp and stayed there relaxing for 5 days. This a beautiful area, lake is clear, cool but lovely to swim in, drinkable, not many bugs. Lots of of canoeing, including fooling around walking the canoe downstream on smallish creek to other lake NE (Elkin) and walking canoe back on rad using canoe cart.

During our stay another camper appeared in a PT cruiser. Turned out to be a German researcher who had a long interest in region and was studying the biological and social history of the wild horses in the area (part of native land claim process).

We ran out of supplies otherwise we would have spent more time there. We really did love it. Off then back onto hwy to Williams Lake, hot hot hot! (39C) - re-supplied and headed south to 100 Mile House then east to Green lake for a quick overnight stay at Prov campsite. This is a popular (read busy) place, a real come down in scenery and ambience from Vedan. Next morning off south, gassing up at Cache Creek then onto Spences Bridge where we turned east. on lesser road to Merrit. Lovely winding road through narrow valley (Nicola river), dry, hot, and seems to be a favourite motorbike ride. In Merrit we played in municipal swimming pool, lunched, and headed on to Kentucky-Allenye prov park (on road to Princeton). This is a fav park of my son, but can be busy. Lovely hot Ponderosa open forest and very pretty lake (Kentucky). We got a nice spot on the lake, set up and relaxed for 3 nights. Lake level lowest we've seen in 6 years. Nice people camping around,kids for son to play with, and we had late afternoon thunder storms 2 days in a row.

From there we beat our way back home via Coquihalla hwy, Hope, then ferry back to Van Island.

I have quickly posted a few pictures posted here:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/McTavishPAC/index.html

Alistair

'82 westy, diesel converted to gas in '94

http://www.members.shaw.ca/albell/