Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:24:03 -0700
From:         jbange <hfinn@INGRATES.NET>
Subject:      Re: 7 to 22 hp gain at wheels!?

>Can some explain to me how this works on a WBX engine? >Where does it plug in? > >http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7919042067&category=46100

Well, it says it plugs in to the IAT sensor harness, I'm guessing it goes in INSTEAD of the IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor. I've heard of "tweak" mods for Chevy and Dodge engines where you wire in a resistor instead of the IAT and it gives you a tiny bit of extra "go", so I'm guessing this is just a potentiometer of the appropriate range to allow you to turn it on or off. Really, it seems like a dumb thing to do. The IAT is there for a reason, right? Probably fuel economy, I'd say. I guess if you trick the ECU into thinking it's getting colder air it runs richer? Advances the timing? Frangles the spidnik valves harder? Whatever it is, I figure the VAG Digifant engineers put it there for something, so it's probably better off left in the loop. Can't imagine that it'd be useful, as you apparently only get about 7hp when running if the wasserboxer's preferred operating range of 2000-4000rpm, and that the promised 22hp doesn't show up until 5000rpm or more (hard to tell-- the graph he has is hard to read). I don't think I've even had mine over 4500rpm. They say on the Dodge and Chevy message boards that you're better off getting a good K&N filter and making sure you're feeding it plenty of cold, outside air.

John Bange '90 Vanagon "Geldsauger"