Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:58:24 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] SNAP! Zrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! (sheared CV axle shaft)
Comments: cc: Tim King <yellowdog@SOFTHOME.NET>

> I just want to make it clear I have nothing but good things > to say about Ron at Bus Depot. I have contacted them, but > don't expect a response because I told them I was heading out > of town and that I'd contact them when I return. > > Further, this was not an attempt to air a grievence with them > because I have no grievience. I'm guessing -- and most seem > to agree -- this was a manufacturer's defect. > > Mainly I wanted to know if anyone had seen a failure like > this. Additionally, (mostly for future reference), I wanted > to know if people felt these could handle regular syncro use..

Tim, I understand the reason for your post, and actually have been curious myself as to whether anyone else with a Subie conversion would respond. (I'd hoped that by the time you got back from your trip we'd have gotten some list feedback on this that would shed light on it.) I have sold tons of these to both Syncro and non-Syncro owners without a single problem, so I can confidently say that they are reliable under normal circumstances. As you noted, visually they actually appear to be heavier-duty than stock if anything. But for all I know you may be the only customer using one on a Subie conversion. Not that this would necessarily make any difference, but it does present somewhat of an unknown variable.

It's fairly rare for an axle shaft to snap except under extreme duress. There must have been a lot of pressure on that axle for it to actually shear in half. Maybe the extra torque from the conversion had something to do with it, maybe some other external problem, or maybe some weird defect in this particular shaft. In any case, I will arrange for a warranty exchange and email you the RA number. I should note that as with any warranty claim, the manufacturer reserves the right to inspect the part and deny the warranty if they see clear evidence of external causation (although I can't remember the last time this has actually happened).

If a second one does the same thing on your particular van, whereas no others have been returned out of all those that we've sold, then it will be safe to assume that there is something unique to your vehicle that is causing the failure.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT