Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:28:27 -0400
From:         tmiller <tmiller@VCMAILS.COM>
Subject:      Re: FW: [LCML] Stupid Diesel Idea of the day NVC
Comments: To: BenT <syncro@GMAIL.COM>

Karl W., it's FJ40. I used to own an FJ55 &amp; and FJ60 before I got into Vanagons (RVC).

BenT <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://members.aol.com/bentbtstr8/myhomepage/index.html">http://members.aol.com/bentbtstr8/myhomepage/index.html</a>

I'm sure I'll get flack for this one, but the other day I was chatting Diesels with a co-worker would been looking up engine swaps on heaps. One of my favorite engines for a while has been the TDI engines that VW makes. How horrible an idea would it be (I don't have the money, so I'm just theorizing) to put a 2.0L TDI in an FJ40? The important specs are 134hp @ 4,000 rpm, 247 ft*lbs at 1900rpm, which moves the 3500lb wagon pretty good. For comparison the 2.7L 5cyl mercedes engine in the Dodge Sprinter Van makes 154hp @3800, and 243ft*lbs at 1600rpm. That moves a really big truck down the road at a top speed of 90mph according to R&amp;T, though it's got to take a week or two to get up to that speed. Performance specs aren't that far off from a 2F, though the weight has to be about half, or less. It'd make for a nice light weight rig. Part I'm having trouble with (other than the actual mechanics of such a swap), is getting my mind around a 2.0L engine in a Cruiser, even a 40. The output specs. say it'd work. But 2000cc???? Anyone want to kill my daydream?

Heath