Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Mar 2013 20:31:03 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: 84 westy
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

---- Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > It's a feature of the igntion switch to prevent turning it to 'start' > from 'on' once it is fired up and running. > In order for the starter to crank again ..you have to turn back to 'off' > ..then to on and start. > > I think itmight even mention that in the owner's manual. > German cars and 'most cars' have been that way almost forever- so you > can't energize the starter when the engine is already running.

My Honda isn't that way, and I have driven other cars that are not. None of the Toyota's that I've owned prior to the current one was that way. The current one has high tech features including a remote "key" and a start button, rather than a regular ignition lock and switch. If I kill the engine on the Honda, then I simply engage the starter again, without turning the key to the off position.

mcneely

> > > On 3/2/2013 4:00 PM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > > Though I don't know the mechanism or why of this, on my '91 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Campmobile, if for some reason I kill the engine (maybe driving like a cluts and killing it with the clutch starting on a hill), I have to turn the key off, then crank. Otherwise, the ignition is simply dead. Is it supposed to be that way, or is there some anomaly? mcneely > > > > ---- "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> wrote: > >> Rocky, > >> > >> I would check for voltage at the battery. I had a van die like this once > >> and it was because the alternator died and the battery kept the van going > >> for a while until it was depleted. Then when the van stopped, it would not > >> crank over because the battery was low. You should see around 12.5 volts > >> if the battery is still up. > >> > >> Also do you have an automatic or a manual transmission van? The automatics > >> need to be in either park or neutral for the starter to function. If a van > >> just stalls at a light, your first instinct is to try to start it again. > >> If you have an automatic, it would just act like the starter had died. Put > >> it in neutral if you are costing or park if you are still and it should at > >> least crank over again. > >> > >> Hope this helps, > >> Ken Wilford > >> John 3:16 > >> www.vanagain.com > >> > >> > >> On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Rocky Davis <rdavis@protechthermal.com>wrote: > >> > >>> Hi folks. > >>> I'm fairly new to the westy world. Been reading here and have learned a > >>> lot from you people. Thank you. I have only had my westy for a year. And > >>> still have not been able to use it much as I don't know all the quirks that > >>> go with it. Today I took the van for a ride and at the stoplight. It just > >>> died. Won't even turn over I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key. > >>> Any ideas? It's an 84 westy with a 1.9 water boxer any help would be > >>> appreciated. > >>> Sent from my iPhone > > -- > > David McNeely > > >

-- David McNeely