Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:21:32 -0700
From:         Jere Hawn <jghawn@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Tranny Saga

Hi All,

It haw been a busy weekend. I bought an 87 Wolfy on e-bay with a blown engine for its tranny. This week end I pulled the tranny out of the wolfy and installed it in my 88 GL. It went fairly easy, Master Bentley was rather straight forward with it. The installation was more difficult than expected. I had to remove the forward tranny mount and use the longer starter bolt on the other side to pull the tranny into the engine. I used my small floor jack to support the tranny during installation which I think worked well. My blown tranny had both seal cover pop out so the CVs were full of gear oil (messy). During reinstallation I put the linkage mounting plant on the wrong side and had to fix that. When everything was said and done the linkage alignment is off a little. First and second were beyond the reverse blocker so I rotated the floor plate a little and got it nearly perfect. Shifting into first gear still hangs just a little. If anyone has any ideas on the linkage please pass them on. TIA

I now have an 87 Wolfy that I will be parting out this coming week.

Jere

90 GL/Carat-a-version

88 GL

87 Wolfy