Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Aug 2004 06:58:23 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Don't Replaced that heater valve today!

The procedure for replacing the stock heater valve varies depending on model as does the degree of difficulty.

The same is true for adding or operating the stop valve "Robert" recommends and sells. Some models of Vanagons have additional dash controls that preclude the easy removal of the heater cover, to put it mildly.

In any case, adding a heater on/off valve that can't be safely operated by the driver while the vehicle is in motion is Mikey Mouse in my opinion.Putting it behind a panel that was not designed for frequent removal is more so. The plastic tabs holding the cover in place are prone to breaking, as are the plastic flanges of the heater box that the the cover slides onto.

The frequency of need for changing the position of the proposed valve will also vary, by regional climate and tolerance of the driver and passengers for traveling with the valve in the wrong position for a given trip. "Fixing" the heater control by adding a valve that many will find to be a pain to access is just another degradation of the ownership experience. After a few "fixes" like this, the Vanagon will become less and less the vehicle of choice for family outings.

As for the "proper piping system" remark, a stop valve is often there to allow the flow to be stopped while the control valve is serviced or replaced. This is a needless feature on a vehicle heater system. Perhaps that explains its absence on so many vehicles.

Mark