Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:03:18 -0600
From:         Mark Edwards <bhs73@SPYMAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: emission ethics

>in other words, the most effective immediate way to cope with pollution >and the now permanently decreasing level of petroleum production is >reducing population. this will happen gracefully, or catastrophically, >but is going to happen as the petroleum age comes to an end within the >next 40 - 50 years.

So babies come from Saudia Arabia? I thought it was the Stork :-)

Its a difficult stretch to connect population to oil. Less time driving means more time at home, means more time for..... well, you get the picture.

The world is not overcrowded, just a poorly planned distribution of people. <g>

Crude production is decreasing because we are running out of it. Its decreasing because its being used as a political and monetary club by those who are perceived to be the only people that have it. It a fascinating twist to use that hypothesis that we can control population with oil production :-)

I don't believe we will survive long enough get past the petroleum age. Crude is a politcial tool, its a environmentalist weapon, its a carrot, and its far to deeply imbedded into our world society. Removing it, or getting people to give it up will fail as badly as new coke, and the metric system in the US :) Our best bet is a total collapse of civilization, and then the wisdom to rebuild it properly.

<finally, vanagon content>

>>If i were still living in Atlanta, I'd probably have to give up the >>Vanagon--it's last test was on the verge of not passing. I'd never do >>anything to circumvent the testing though--Atlanta has filthy air and >>I don't think i'd be happy contributing to it.

In Utah, if your vehicle fails the emissions test, there is a maximum amount of cash you are required to spend to get it to pass. If your repairs exceed that amount, you get a waiver, even if it still fails. Its an annual thing, and not very cost effective, but its a way around it. Five years ago, the amount required on my 1984 Chevette was $300. I would imagine a vanagon would be even less.

Do other states alllow this kind of waiver option?

The increasing majority of cars have computers and check engine lights that do the job of monitoring emissions. Assuming that everyone is not riding around with the Check Engine light on, those cars are passing emissions standards, so when they come to your Iowa town demanding to charge you a fee every year to go in and show that your car is not putting out excessive emissions, turn it around and demand numbers on how many vehicles are actually failing the test in the first place, and wonder why they are, if the computer is working. Emissions testing of those type vehicles is a terrible waste of time and money, a cash cow for the test stations, and a tool teh government uses to beat us over the head with in November. We need emissions controls, but they have to be in place every day, not just one day per year. That is what the computer controls give us, only we still have to fork over $30+ each year, or every two years as well.

Mark