Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Sep 2004 19:03:37 -0700
From:         Tim Fong <fongball@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: From a Westy, to a "Motorhome" ?? Seeking advice (LVC)

Hi Tom,

If your travels take you to places that a 22' Class C will fit and your budget allows for the increase in fuel costs, then it will be hard for a Westy to compete with the convenience and comfort of a fully self-contained RV.

I currently own four different RVs from a Syncro Westy to a 32' Class A with Double Slide-Outs. Each serves a specific purpose better than it's stable mates. IMO nothing beats a Syncro Westy for off-road camping. I recently bought an Airstream Class B Micro Motor home built on a Ford 1 ton van chassis. It uses the stock van body with a rigid extended top. It has everything a full blown motor home has, but is very compact. For quick weekend trips on pavement or dirt roads and to explore small towns, it's hard to beat. When we take extended trips for three weeks or more, like going to the tip of Baja, we take the Fleetwood Southwind 32 footer, for the ultimate comfort going to places connected by highways, I like it a lot. When I want to get away from the masses, I strap on my trusty Dana Designs Terra Plane (6000 cu. in. backpack) and hit the trail. After the 10 or 15 miles in, you won't be bothered by many neighbors, at least that's been my experience.

BTW, you can rent Class Cs from places like Cruise America and others to take on your typical trip and see if a RV of that type suits your needs.

Good Luck, Pmail me with questions if you like, I have owned RVs, Westys, Jeeps, Motorcycles, Mountain Bikes, and Backpacks for over almost 40 years and still do. Did I mention I own a Mercedes Unimog 4X4 Camper............

Tim 1987 Syncro Westy "Trigger" 1998 Airstream B-190 1989 Winnebago SSuper Chief27' "original owner" 2003 Fleetwood Southwind 32' with double slide-outs (bought new 05/03) 1965 Mercedes Unimog 404AS (4X4 with 4000 pound payload capacity) 1998 Range Rover 4.6 HSE 1995 Chevy 2500 4X4 pick-up (to carry the motorcycles) That's it, as far camping vehicles are concerned anyway

Tom Rowsell <sakow86@GMAIL.COM> wrote: Hi all:

After a rather pleasant summer camping with a Westy (family of 4), I'm really considering acquiring a motor home of some sort...a 22' or so Class C. We find that the (lack of) space in the VW is becoming a challenge, especially as the 2 boys grow bigger :) I'm wondering if any members have gone to such a transition, or have gone the other way even. Opinions from owners of both would be nice to hear also. Thanks in advance for any replies...

Tom http://tomrowsell.com

PS I might have a nice Westy for sale soon :)