Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Sep 2004 12:46:05 -0500
From:         "David J. Bohannan" <david.bohannan@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Air conditioning hose
Comments: To: "Woten, Rodney" <rodney.woten@LENNOXIND.COM>

When we got our 85 a couple months ago, I went to charge up the AC and noticed (after a pound or 2 of gas) that the hose going from the engine compartment to up front had been rubbing up against the "firewall" of sorts..

It blew...I removed the hose and took it to an AC/radiator shop for them to make me a new hose...it cost 150 bucks in labor, hose and fittings...

Upon reinstall, I went ahead and zip tied it AWAY from this location...

So check around all places where it could possibly rub against something and wear away. The hose on mine was almost 20 years old (high side) and so I think that's why the small hole created the "weak link" so to speak...

Dave 85 GL

John,

First of all make sure the fan up front is working on all speeds. When you were moving, air was flowing across the coil semi-sufficiently enough to cool them. If your fan isn't working, that flow stops when you stop moving. This causes the system to retain heat, over pressurize and blow at the weakest point in the system. This is exactly what blew ours. Replacing the fan resistor up front should take care of the fan. If, on the other hand, your fan's working, then you need to figure out what caused the pressure to build in your system and fix that.

Be sure to check the hex bolt atop the receiver dryer in the driver's side rear wheel well. On our '87, this bolt is drilled and filled with a lead plug designed to blow out when the system over-pressurizes, thus saving your expensive hoses. Based on your description of the vapor cloud, I've got a pretty good feeling that's what it is. If it is...good news, just replace your receiver/dryer and have the system recharged. If not...bad news, you'll have to pull off the damaged hose, take it to someplace that makes hydraulic & A/C hoses and have them fabricate a new one using the fittings from the old hose, i.e. expensive.

If the fan's working properly, and the safety plug hasn't ruptured, it might just be that the hose got old enough that it failed where the leak is. The age of the A/C hose has been mentioned a few times just this week on the list, so I assume that's a valid scenario also.

Let us know what you find, and best of luck to ya!

Rod Woten '87 Westy Des Moines, Iowa

-----Original Message----- From: John Wallace [mailto:jwallace@MSAD43.ORG] Sent: Friday, September 03, 2004 11:27 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: [VANAGON] Air conditioning hose

Help... The air conditioning on my 87 Vanagon was working fine (just bought it in June).

I had been using the van all day and I had It idling (with the air on) and I ran back into the house to get something.

When I came back out there was a cloud all around the mid to back of the van. thought I'd lost the engine but it was running fine. It appears that it blew a hole in one of the A/C hoses and it was refrigerant that made the cloud. I can't tell if it just wore through where it goes through the frame or the pressure got too high in the hose?????

1. Anyone got a clue on what might have happened?

2. I can't seem to find any listings for these long hoses that run from front to back...can I splice a piece in?

John Wallace Rumford Maine