Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Sep 2004 17:56:21 -0400
From:         Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@HEWITT.COM>
Subject:      Re: ISO camper
Comments: To: kip martin <dcbluegrass@HOTMAIL.COM>

>dcbluegrass@HOTMAIL.COM wrote >i have three questions: > >1.) how much should i expect to pay for a RELIABLE vehicle--will $3500 do >it?

NO --- I suspect this post is going to generate a few opinions. Reliable?? These are old vehicles and they have some unique problems. If I was doing it all over again I'd look for a rust free vehicle --- hopefully with a blown engine and tranny. I'd put an I-4 or Subie conversion in, along with a rebuilt tranny. This is what I've sort of ended up doing anyway --- except I have to deal with rust. The cost of this???--- 10 to 15 grand. One of our number ( www.roadhaus.com ) spent a very large amount of money looking for and re-building a 'reliable' camper. Check out his site, he tried very hard to do everything right and still had a bunch of problems --- though a fantastic experience. Stan Wilder, another of our number, says to expect to spend your purchase proce in the couple of years or so on repairs. He wasn't far wrong in my case.

>2.) what should i look for in terms of reliability (models, years, features, >etc to avoid?), and

Another hotly debated questions. 86 to 91 have the most bells and whistles, 83.5 to 85 are simpler and possible more robust for that reason, 80 to 83.5 are air-cooled and possibly more reliable than all the others for that reason

>3.) where is the best place to look for such a vehicle--CA is not out of the >question.

Somewhere where they don't get rusty --- Arizona etc. > >thanks for ANY help you can offer. i am ignorant in the ways of the VW >vanagon camper! > >thanks > >kip

These vehicles are wonderful and a bit of an addiction. They are perfect for what you want it for --- and you can drive it to work too if that be your pleasure. But it takes love/devotion/money/blind luck to keep them on the road. This said, mine has been great this year on a coupole of long trips and a number of weekends. There is nothing so sweet as when you pull into your driveway after a trouble-free trip.

Good Luck -- and I'll be watchin other responses to your post with interest,

Cheers, Doug