Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Sep 2004 09:32:04 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: lisence plate foam
Comments: To: Jake Beaulieu <jake_beaulieu@YAHOO.COM>

Not familiar with the foam you speak of, but I know of a good source of neoprene foam in either 1/4" or 1/2" thick pieces. This stuff is stiffer than wetsuit type noeoprene, but may well seal as you need. contact cement glues it(with proper surface prep) to just about anything. I use the stuff for interior padding of kayaks and kneeling pas for whitewater canoes. If the 1/4" will do, I have some of that here at the house, but if you need the 1/2", it's available from John R.Sweet in Mustoe VA. he has a website, selling mostly fiberglass, kevlar, resins etc. Tell him Max sent you if you call. 540-468-2222. A quarter sheet of that stuff would seal many license frames!! You will have no trouble finding uses for the rest of it!!

On the other hand, 1/4" wetsuit neoprene may seal better, I don't know. You could prolly go to a Scuba shop and find out if they have any old diving suits they've worn out and see if they'd scrap one ouot for you. Just a thought.

Steven Wright quote of the day"My high school colors were clear.....I'm not naked, I'm wearing my band uniform!!".

DM&FS

At 07:09 PM 9/3/2004, Jake Beaulieu wrote: >Hello, > >I am trying to seal up all the air leaks in the engine compartment of my >1982 air cooled Westy in preparation for the installation of a Boston Bob >rebuild. The foam that VW glues to the back side of the lisence plate >holder has completely detiorated and needs to be replaced. This foam >prevents air that has been heated by the exaust from being sucked into the >engine compartment where it would reduced the cooling efficiency of the >engine. Does anybody have a good substitute in mind. The foams needs to >be pliable enough to form a good seal, but sturdy enough to withstand the >elements and the heat. > >Thanks, > >Jake > > > >--------------------------------- >Do you Yahoo!? >Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other providers!