Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Sep 2004 15:21:23 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <j.michael.elliott@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Gear mini-review: The Bus Depot Ezy-Awning

I used a Bus Depot Ezy-Awning,

http://busdepot.com/busdepot/details/awning.jsp

for the first time last week, camping at Paradise campground near Eugene, OR. We had mostly drizzly weather with sporadic showers. I am glad I had it to use, as it provided a dry area outside the sliding door for gear and a place to stand.

That said, I wish I had brought along the photos from the web site, as this thing came with NO instructions. This would not normally slow me down, as I am familiar with many styles of tents, ranging from ultralightweight backpacking tents, standard dome tents, Wal-mart family tents, to full-size canvas wall tents. But this one took a lot of study to assemble. After assembling it, it all made sense, but I am glad that we were not in a downpour while I was trying to figure it out.

The construction is so-so, being a mixture of fiberglass shock-corded poles and assorted steel tubes of various sizes and means of fastening together. The nylon awning was well-made, and it fit tautly to the crossmembers and end pieces.

Without reference to instructions, I made the mistake of assuming that all the pole sections were needed for the two outer legs, and ended up with a complete chunk of narrow upper tubing section shoved down into the fatter lower tubing section. When I discovered my error, I could not remove the inside tube without stretching the spring that normally holds the two lower, fat tubes together because one of the spring clips had become wedged into the end of the narrow tubing section. Pulling the narrow tube out of the fat tube stretched the steel spring to uselessness. I'd rather see bungee-type shock cords there.

I don't think I'll need the spring, but it was useful for my first setup as it showed that those two fat tubes were meant to go together. I reckon the spare narrow tubing bits are to be used when the front legs need to be longer, like when the awning is pitched over a downhill.

The rain gutter clips took a bit of playing with to figure out which end did what, but that might just be due to me being slow. However, I am not very confident in how they grabbed the gutter, seeming to clamp mostly onto the vinyl strip and not much onto the steel gutter.

All-in-all, the overall construction is a bit clunky, it's surprisingly heavy for what it is, but it accomplished what I had hoped: a bit of shelter outside the Westy. It will stay in my basic camping kit.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 VW Type 2 / 84 Westy: A poor but proud race. KG6RCR