Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Sep 2004 00:40:16 EDT
From:         Chris Dixon <Jahsurf@AOL.COM>
Subject:      10K update-2.3 H.O. WBX from Unique Imports
Comments: To: syncro@yahoogroups.com

Ok so here's the lowdown on my 2.3L Waterboxer from Unique Imports in Mission Viejo Calif. I had it put into Veronica Fraga's badass Syncro that I bought this summer and drove across the US with.

If you read my earlier post, you recall that I spent $3200 (complete motor and install price ) for a high output waterboxer from UI. It's a stroker motor with 1.25 rockers. Machined new pistons (I saw them, a very professional job--not like that dude in Denver), new crank, new rods, new AMC heads. New oil pump. 50/50 VW coolant and water. 2 bottles Water Wetter. New water pump. Magnaflow muffler and cat. Around a 10-1 compression ratio -- obviously requires hi octane fuel. But with it I had no pinging (and I listened - often).

The motor thus far has moved my 87 Adventurewagen hi-topped Syncro Westy about 10K miles. Westy has custom gears and 15 inch wheels with TAKO' BFG's. Runs around 3600 RPMS at 72 MPH.

Issues: It had a slight oil leak early one which has now gone away by itself (probably a seal settling into place).

It had a lifter tick. This was cured at my 9k mile checkup with an adjustment.

It got only around 17-18 mpg. This was cured by advancing the timing. They deliberatelly retard it and rich the mixture early on so you're sure not to get any detonation when it breaks in. Now 19-21 easy.

Power: Exceptional. Gobs at mid range RPMs. Pulled my heavily laden, bull bumpered AW Westy with 15 inch wheels up every CA, Oregon, Utah and Wyoming interstate grade at no less than 50-55 MPH in 3rd gear. Pulled many in 4th. Even with AC on, I was able to motor with traffic along i-10from Phoenix to OC in 100 degree weather without worry generally at 70 to 75MPH. That is UNTIL I hit Palm Springs at 105 degrees with a 30 MPH headwind going up the rise out of Palm Sprs with AC, it sunk down to 55-60 MPH. As another example for SoCalifornians: there is a rise on 1-5 south in San Clemente from Pico to Palizada. In my previous 86 stock, poptop Syncro Westy, if I floored it coming into this hill, I could maintain 55-60. With this motor, if I do the same thing, I can maintain 70-73--easy.

I love the sound of the Magnaflow.

Oil Consumption. Around 1/4 to 1/3 a quart every 3K miles.

MIleage: See above.

Temps. Never got close to overheating with pedal to metal. Even with AC motoring thru hotasssshellll desert. (I highly recommend waterwetter, a new thermostat, and a heavily flushed or new radiator)

Happy? Hells yes. Would I have preferred a TDI? Perhaps, but this was cheaper (at least in the short run) and it's still a stocker. That said, Dave Marshall's Fast Forward TDI deal seems like a solid option.

Only complaint? Chip at Unique considers this a 'modified' motor, so he'll only give a 10K warranty. That's compared to 40K for a far more expensive Gowesty. But Chip is a straight up guy and I truly believe that if something went wrong past 10K and he believed that it was as a result of his motor and not my negligence, he would fix it cheap if not for free. His rates and repairs, promptness and honesty are, in my opinion, among the best I've ever seen.

It ain't a hot rod, but it's a damn respectable motor in a van I'm proud of, and I think it's going to get me down the road a long way as long as I treat it right.

My verdict as a hopefully unbiased journalist? If you're in Socal and thinking of a new motor, this is one you should seriously consider. A simple, affordable solution to the hill-climbing blues.

Unique imports -- 949-951-5201.

That's my two cents. Chris Dixon